Album release includes improvisational Black Metal by Mastery

Scott Murphy, News Editor

BADBADNOTGOOD & Ghostface Killah – Sour Soul (Jazz Rap)

In less than five years, BADBADNOTGOOD have gone from releasing free mixtapes with jazz renditions of hip-hop tracks to collaborating with some of the most prominent rappers in the game. The fact that acclaimed Wu-Tang Clan member Ghostface Killah sought them out to collaborate on Sour Soul foreshadows the prestigious career that this trio is bound to have.

Dan Deacon – Gliss Riffer (Indietronica)

Dan Deacon has always added a unique quirk to his take on experimental electronic and plunderphonics. Gliss Riffer, Dan’s seventh full-length album, is slated to be his critical and commercial breakthrough, as his newest glitch pop tracks bring a fresh sense of playful exuberance to his usual style.

Mastery – Valis (Improvisational Black Metal)

Valis’ initial advertisement as a “Form of free jazz black metal – twisted and complex, with upwards of a hundred riffs per song” was initially intriguing and is now clearly accurate. If Ornette Coleman was a Scandinavian teen in the nineties that penned a third studio album named The Shape of Black Metal to Come, it would closely resemble what Mastery accomplishes here.

THEESatisfaction – EarthEE (Neo Soul)

Since garnering acclaim from their contributions to Shabazz Palace’s excellent debut Black Up, emcee/producer Stasia “Stas” Irons and singer/producer Catherine “Cat” Harris-White have gone on to express their blend of soul, R&B and hip-hop under the name THEESatisfaction. The modern vibrancy that the duo brings into their compositions continues on their soulfully electronic sophomore album EarthEE.

Torche – Restarter (Sludge Pop)

While a genre like sludge metal does not sound particularly accessible, Torche’s approach maintains a thick, gritty approach while demonstrating a keen affinity for pop sensibilities. Restarter continues this balance of crushing riffs and soaring melodies that has begun to influence several of the band’s peers.