Saint A’s alum Matt Robbins gives appreciation for liberal arts education

Kailyn Gallagher, Editor-in-Chief

Matt Robbins, a member of the Anselmian Class of 2013, is now a Commercial Credit Analyst for Leader Bank in Arlington, Massachusetts.

After graduating with a degree in accounting, he worked in a large public accounting firm where he was able to complete his Certified Public Accountant (CPA) exams. “I met a lot of great friends and had a positive experience in public accounting, but didn’t enjoy the commuting. After a year and a few months in public accounting, I realized it wasn’t for me and began to search for jobs on Indeed.com” said Robbins.

After some searching and a bit of luck, he found a growing and innovative bank in the town he was living in and was eventually hired into a position that was a better fit for his skill set.

Now Robbins arrives at the credit department at 8:00a.m., where he meets with his credit manager. The manager gives Robbins a manila folder with the borrower’s tax return and other financial information.

“I put the financial information we have gathered into an Excel worksheet and begin to analyze the numbers, opining on the strengths and weaknesses of the proposed loan. I go over key details such as credit score, income and collaterals with lenders.”

After completing the analysis, or “write up”, the loan committee approves or denies the loan. After successful approval of the loan, cash is disbursed to the borrower.

“As a commercial credit analyst, I have the fortune of working on real estate loans, construction loans, and commercial and industry loans such as lines of credit,” he explained.

During his time as a student at Saint Anselm College he found great mentors in his professors, “I had two of the best accounting professors anyone could ask for in Prof. McGuinness and Prof. Lalonde. Whether you do finance or accounting, the fundamentals of accounting are everywhere and apply to everything. These professors enabled me to work towards my dream of becoming a CPA.”

He also commented, “I’d like to thank Sam Allen and Dr. Catanese for making me think and look ahead to the future and life after the Hilltop. They inspired me to apply early and often.”

Since leaving school and obtaining his job as a Commercial Credit Analyst, Robbins has gained a new appreciation for his liberal arts education- even humanities. The required core classes, especially English, philosophy, theology and humanities strengthened his writing and research abilities.

While this is not exactly Robbins’ ideal job, a Commercial Lender in a bank, he is happy with his current situation which is filled with excellent mentors and great opportunities for building his portfolio.

Robbins’ advice to students, especially seniors, for finding a job is, “Apply early and often. There is no better time than looking for a job now if you are senior. No one wants to sit at home with their parents without a job, so make it happen. Similarly, realize that your first job is probably not going to be your dream one and that is ok. Very few people in our age bracket know what they really want. The important thing is that you go out there, try something, and be ready to learn every day. That’s what really counts.”