Hilltop marks diversity at Multicultural Day on Saturday

Jessica Vaillancourt, Crier Staff

The Multicultural Center celebrates cultural diversity with its annual celebration of Multicultural Day. On the Campus Green in front of Joan of Arc Hall, the celebration will take place from 1-4 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 1.

This year, a number of performers will be coming to campus. The African Akwaaba Ensemble is among them; their vibrant performance brings traditional West African drumming and dance to life.

Another group, the Wah Lum Chinese Lion Dancers, perform a traditional Chinese dance which dates back as early as the year 960 A.D.

Other scheduled performances include a Sinha Capoeira demonstration, the Mariachi Estrellas de Boston, and more.

Performers from Daughters of the Corn at 2016 Multicultural Day.
Crier\Livy Ashburne

Multicultural Day aims to celebrate and embrace different cultures by bringing exciting entertainment and unique cuisine to campus. It encourages freedom of identity and casual dialogue between students about their cultural and ethnic differences.

“It is necessary to have compassion, understanding, and an open mind to all cultures,” says Katie Gemmell ’17.

She continues, “Multicultural Day is important, because it gives students a new perspective of cultures that are not familiar to them. We celebrate moments like this to help cultivate minds for a better world.”

In addition to the performances, Saint Anselm students will have tables set up for the culture of the club or organization they are representing, so make sure to stop by the Campus Green on Oct. 1 from 1-4 p.m.