Sister Maureen Sullivan returns to the Hilltop to present on Pope John XXIII and Pope Francis

Teresa Samson, Crier Staff

Let’s talk about journeys. Sr. Maureen Sullivan is an internationally recognized authority on the Second Vatican Council, author, religious consultant, and award recipient for having made a “significant contribution in the life and renewal of the Catholic Church.”

On Tuesday, Sept. 20, the Saint Anselm College theology department welcomed Professor Emerita, Sr. Maureen Sullivan, back to the Hilltop to discuss the continued legacy of Pope John XXIII by Pope Francis.

In her presentation “Vatican II and the Jubilee Year of Mercy: The Journey Continues,” Sr. Maureen addressed the parallels she had drawn between their two papacies.

Professor Emerita Sr. Maureen Sullivan returns to campus to present “Vatican II and the Jubilee Year of Mercy: The Journey Continues.”
Crier\Tim Mannila
Professor Emerita Sr. Maureen Sullivan returns to campus to present “Vatican II and
the Jubilee Year of Mercy: The Journey Continues.”

She identified ways in which Pope Francis’ approach to the Church resembles those of Pope John XXIII, specifically their method of uniting and guiding Christians as contemporary issues arise. For example, Francis’ humble act, washing the feet of Muslim prisoners resonated John XXIII’s emphasis on gestures of reconciliation with citizens of the world.

Sr. Maureen delved further into Francis’ papacy, praising his “authentic humility” in changing the emphasis of the papacy from leader to servant, exemplifying a “gospel-grounded papacy.” In this way, she explained, Francis embodies the concept of “radical discipleship” for which John XXIII also advocated.

Sr. Maureen also gave insight to the Incarnational Theology integrated into both papacies. Incarnational Theology explores how God continues to work in the world; in other words, “Creation isn’t over.”

She awed that both men saw the world as a reflection of heaven and elaborated: “Everything has the possibility to be an encounter with God. Saints seem to have more encounters with God because they are more willing to receive Him through His many manifestations.”

In her closing thoughts, our internationally renowned professor emerita restated her belief that Francis epitomizes Christian leadership through his “authenticity” and “[genuine investment] in the Church.” These qualities resonate with those of John XXIII, enabling the two popes to initiate “change” during these tumultuous times, rather than just to “cope” with them.

Once her presentation concluded, the members of the theology department enjoyed refreshments while reconnecting with Sr. Maureen, who was “so honored” to be invited back.

Sophomore Kelsey Warner commented with enthusiasm, “Sr. Maureen gives hope to female theologians by showing how deeply we can participate and act in the Church.”