Professor Ann Holbrook to take the stage with ‘The Quickfire Band’ Oct. 27

Courtesy\Ann Holbrook

Ann Holbrook sings while her husband, Bill Holbrook, plays steel guitar.

Johanna Materazzo, Crier Staff

The Quickfire Band is a musical group comprised of five members, including our very own Ann Holbrook. Holbrook is a professor in the English Department and the lead singer of the Quickfire Band. The group plays classic country music from the 1950s to the 2000s.

Other members of the group include Rich Gordon, J.D. Foster, Glen Brodeur, and Bill Holbrook. Gordon plays lead guitar and sings lead and harmonies; Foster plays drums and sings harmonies; Brodeur plays bass and sings lead and harmonies; Holbrook plays pedal steel guitar and sings lead and harmonies. Classic country makes use of the pedal steel guitar as one of its signature sounds.

The musicians have played in different rock and country bands throughout the years, often with each other. When they discovered that Strange Brew Tavern in Manchester hired country bands for Thursday nights, they created the Quickfire Band to play on their “country nights.” Holbrook characterizes the the group as “not so much a band as a collection of independent musicians getting together and performing songs we love in front of an audience.”

On Sept. 29, the group played at Strange Brew Tavern and had a significant turnout, including many Saint Anselm students.

Senior English major Devin Kelley was in the audience. She said, “My friends and I had so much fun seeing the Quickfire Band at Strange Brew. They played some classic country songs, and they are so talented. Even Professors Bouchard and Staley were there dancing. It was fun to spend time with my friends and our professors, dancing and listening to some great music.”

The band hopes to continue playing at Strange Brew on Thursday nights. They also hope to book more gigs in southern New Hampshire and northern Massachusetts. They will be playing at Strange Brew on Oct. 27 from 8-11 p.m.

“I absolutely love music, as much as I love literature,” says Holbrook. “I love to sing not just leads but harmonies, for which I have a good ear. I also love to see people enjoying particular songs that mean much to them; and I love watching them dance the two-step and line dances. Singing with such superb musicians is a privilege I never take for granted.”

Holbrook is also in another group called The Classics 5 Band, which she says is her busiest group. This group is also comprised of five members: Ann Holbrook, Dennis Michaud, Don Conti, Fred Hebert, and Ron Cote. The Classics 5 Band plays oldies, rock, and classic country. Don Conti’s daughter, Stephanie Conti, occasionally steps in for Holbrook if she can’t make a performance. Stephanie is a junior at Saint Anselm College who starred in both Thoroughly Modern Millie and Chicago.

Take a trip over to Strange Brew at the end of the month and enjoy some great classic country music with friends and professors.