Luminarias light up abbey

Courtesy\Kelsie Cameron

View of luminarias from choir stalls.

Johanna Materazzo, Crier Staff

The “Anselmians for Light” Luminaria Mass, a “uniquely Anselmian campus celebration,” was celebrated Nov. 6 in honor of All Saints and All Souls Day.

Sponsored by the Office of Campus Ministry, the mass is a celebration when members of the Saint Anselm community have the opportunity to put forth luminarias in the form of illuminated paper bags decorated in memory of deceased loved ones. Often times, the bags are decorated with objects that remind our community members of their loved ones such as names, initials, photos, symbols, quotes, and bible verses. The bags are then placed around the Abbey Church with candles inside them, illuminating the bags. Contrasted with the darkened church, the bags create an image of hope in the collective light they give.

Members of the campus community are then encouraged to “stand by their bags,” actively participating in the Mass. Special prayers are offered for those who have died, as these loved ones become part of this special Mass.

Aiden Denehy ’18 was deeply moved by the unique nature of the Mass. He says, “The ceremony was beautiful. It was a unique and touching experience to see the church in a new light— that is, no light, other than the candles —and reflect on those who have left us, and to hope we will see them again.”

“Anselmians for Light” was initiated in 2014 by Abbot Matthew, O.S.B. after he was inspired by the students praying around the luminaria during Relay for Life. Since, Campus Ministry has seen increased participation.