College community gathers at intercultural holiday dinner

Crier\Tim Mannila

Students and members of the college community serve themselves buffet-style.

Becca Hurd, Crier Staff

December has arrived on the hilltop, and with it comes a rush of holiday spirit that has not been missed by the Saint Anselm community. On Dec. 1, the Multicultural Center and the Office of Campus Ministry hosted “A Celebration of Light,” the annual Intercultural Holiday Dinner.

The event is a free, fun, and educational way to bring together students, staff, and faculty in order to learn about cultural differences of the holiday season all over the world. Attendees get a chance to hear about traditions from all over the world and learn about the coinciding cultures.

The name “A Celebration of Light” was chosen as a representation of the positive, inclusive goal of the event as well as its common use in religion. Interfaith Campus Minister Sarah Catherine Richardson explained that the event’s name relates to the light and joy of the many holidays occurring throughout the season.

Richardson also described the event as “an annual interfaith and intercultural dinner here on campus that celebrates the many holidays that happen during this season.”

This year’s Celebration of Light included four speakers; three students and one professor “from a variety of countries that described how they celebrate Christmas.” Represented this year were traditions from the Dominican Republic, Thailand, and Paraguay.

Rebecca Senna, Assistant Director of the Multicultural Center, said “The dinner went really well, we had a great attendance… The atmosphere, like every year, was like a big family dinner.”

She continued, “At this event everyone is welcomed at the table to share food & friendship, and to celebrate the wonderful holiday season.”

Crier\Tim Mannila
Susan Gabert and Wayne Currie pose for a picture at ‘A Celebration of Light.’

The faculty of the college was represented by Professor Michael New, a member of the English Department, who shared his family’s Hanukkah traditions.

Senior Brian Georges was an attendee of the event for his fourth year and said, “I have attended the event every year since I was a freshman and each year I am more and more grateful to learn more about how other countries celebrate such a beautiful time of the year.”

The Celebration of Light dinner event is one small piece of a much greater directive on the Saint Anselm’s campus. That significant challenge is one of creating a community of unity, a place of togetherness and caring in which every culture is celebrated and welcomed. Living in a world perhaps in need of such acceptance, only through love may we thrive.