‘DIVERGENCE’ displays faculty artwork until March 18

Johanna Materazzo, Crier Staff

The Alva de Mars Megan Chapel Art Center, Saint Anselm College’s gallery for the exhibition of fine art, opened to the public on Friday, Feb. 3.

On view is their latest exhibit, DIVERGENCE: A Studio Art Faculty Exhibition. This exhibit highlights the work of five faculty members from the Saint Anselm College Fine Arts Department. These distinguished members are Megan Bogonovich, professor of ceramics and sculpture, Luke Buffenmyer, former professor of digital art, graphic design, typography, and web design, Josh Dannin, professor of digital art and imaging and studio arts technician, Kimberly Kersey-Asbury, professor of studio art, and Elsa Voelcker, professor of digital and traditional darkroom photography. The art displayed in Divergence includes photographs, drawings, images that integrate woodcutting, and sculptures.

Senior Emily Bache attended the exhibit’s opening. “The exhibit was incredible,” Bache said. “It is amazing to see the talent our professors have. I could not believe some of the things I was seeing and hearing. As I spoke with Kimberly Asbury about her piece (a clay hand), she explained how she sculpted each finger on a wheel instead of just free hand. Her reason for doing so was simply because she was up for a new challenge. Overall the experience was unbelievable as I was able to learn from these inspiring professors and appreciate their artwork with them.”

Bache explained that the experience left her feeling inspired: “I am fascinated by artistic people and I appreciate beauty.” She said she knows one of the artists, Luke Buffenmeyer. “He was my professor last year. He was possibly my favorite professor here at Saint Anselm College,” Bache explained. “It was sad to see him leave Saint A’s; however, I’m glad he left his artwork behind.”

This exhibition will be on display until March 18, 2017.