Multicultural Center, other sponsors host Women’s History Month

Crier\Tim Mannila

Professor Margaret Carson, Sheila Ramirez ’18, Felipe Bispo ’19, Professor Sarah Hardin, Jada Burke ’17, Professor Beth Salerno speak at the women’s history brunch.

Johanna Materazzo, Crier Staff

March has been named Women’s History Month in the United States, highlighting women’s contribution to history. As part of this campaign, Saint Anselm College is celebrating events all month long that are meant to emphasize the importance of having an awareness of gender equality.

Saint Anselm College has been celebrating Women’s History Month for three years with a different theme each year. This year’s theme is “Empowering Her, She, Hers.”

Linda Rey of the Multicultural Center says, “In particular, this year women’s voices need to be heard. We have the power for change and to change.”

Chani Marchiselli, communication professor and advisor to the Gender Studies minor says, “Women’s History Month invites us to consider how ideas about gender change, and how social categories like ‘women’ and ‘men’ are products of history and culture. This year’s theme is about empowerment, and I’m particularly excited about the closing event when we’ll talk about gender and activism. Certainly, everyone is welcome and encouraged to attend these events.”

Rebecca Senna of the Multicultural Center has a similar view of the importance of celebrating this month.

Senna says, “I think this month is important because I think that powerful women in history are often overlooked. This month is here to highlight their stories in hopes to inspire other women to share their stories.”

In order to highlight these stories and inspire other women, a variety of events will take place throughout Women’s History Month.

There will be events such as panels, a High Tea Soiree with Women from the community, a photo campaign, panels on Title IX and women in comedy, and a presentation on activism. These events present different perspectives that will hopefully be of interest to the campus community. The hope is that people will be interested in participating in events this both now and in the future.

The Multicultural Center has partnered with the Gender Studies minor for most of the events that will be held. Other departments that have contributed are the Meelia Center and Campus Ministry.

These departments and individuals seek to recognize women in a variety of ways through a complete and diverse series of events.

“Women’s History Month is living proof that many women have been challenging and exceeding society’s expectations,” says junior Sybille Legitime. “This month is both a reminder and a source of motivation for each and every one of us.”

As International Women’s Day was celebrated on March 8 this year, there is a reminder that every person can become involved in celebrating different groups. One does need not be a woman to celebrate Women’s History Month. As our campus celebrates Women’s History Month throughout the month of March, consider standing in solidarity with women and for women. Women’s History Month draws on the importance of equality rather than women as victims.