Robbie Merritt claims title of Mr. Saint A’s

Crier\Dan Flatley

Robbie Merritt being crowned Mr. Saint A’s.

Johanna Materazzo, Crier Staff

Senior Robbie Merritt claimed the title of Mr. Saint A’s with his piano performance of “Make You Feel my Love” at the Saint Elizabeth Seton Society’s annual talent fundraiser on Tuesday, March 28. All proceeds of the $5 admission went to the Relay for Life.

This year’s contestants were John  “JJ” Courtney ’17, Colton Bergal ’19, Robbie Merritt ’19, Andrew Herlihy ’17, Connor Eaton ’17, Drew Bourdeau ’18, Nick Cadigan ’18, and Jake Harty ’18.

The show ran for about an hour, with each contestant procuring laughter from the audience.

They opened the night with a group dance number featuring popular songs “That’s What I Like,” “Oops! I Did It Again,” “Shape of You,”

and “Trumpets.”

After strutting their swimwear, the show moved into its talent portion. Harty sang Frozen’s “Let It Go” in 25 languages, while Courtney performed a reverse strip tease for the crowd. Other talents include voice and instrumental performances, juggling, and dancing.

After a series of questions from the society’s president Courtney Puccio ’17 and vice president Phoebe Ferraiolo ’17, the judges deliberated on this year’s winner.

The contestants were judged by Professor Clarke, Professor Parolin, Arlene from Student Activities, and Laura from Dining Services. At the end of the show, Laura received the award for “Staff Member of the Year.”

Eaton and Herhily tied for third place, Courtney secured runner-up, and Merritt stole the show as first-place winner.

Third place winner Andrew Herlihy ’17, said, “I am honored to even be a contestant on such a prestigious school-wide event. The true winners of the night are the women in the Saint Elizabeth Seton Society who raise so much money for such a great cause! In my performance, I followed my idol Bruno Mars’ footsteps and gave a rendition of his new hit single ‘That’s What I Like.’ I have worked endless hours perfecting and honing my skills.”

Herlihy continued, “This has been journey filled with blood, sweat, and tears, and I really think people enjoyed the final product.”

Besides his heartfelt performance of “Make You Feel My Love,” Merritt’s answer to “What do you love most about being Anselmian?” made him stand out from the rest.

Merritt explained that “being Anselmian something unique to Saint Anselm.”

He continued, “You do not call someone from Salve Regina Salve Reginian or someone from Northeastern a Northeasterner. Being Anselmian is different. It means being a part of a community. This community forms who you are and the relationships you make here are ones you have for the rest of your life.”