College to mark Shakespeare’s 453rd birthday with annual celebration

Flickr/Saint Anselm College

Professor Gary Bouchard reading sonnets behind Alumni Hall.

Emily Maier, Crier Staff

The month of April comes with a very historic birthday: William Shakespeare, often praised as the greatest writer in the English language, turns 453 this year. While the Bard himself was not immortal, much of his work has certainly stood the test of time, to which just about every college student can attest.

Whether an English major or not, most likely everyone has read something written by Shakespeare by the time they enter college. And, whether a fan of writing from the Elizabethan era or not, it is hard not to grow fond of Shakespeare’s quirky characters and poetic style.

So, with the Bard’s special day coming up, the English department at Saint Anselm was all too happy to throw his annual birthday bash. Held on Monday April 23, students, staff, faculty, and community members are all invited to join the ceremony that has spanned almost three decades.

The birthday tradition stems from Loyola University, where Professor Gary Bouchard, chair of the English department, earned his Ph.D. and became inspired to bring the celebration to Saint Anselm College – with its own Anselmian twist, of course.

With the blessing of Loyola’s Dr. James Berry, the tradition began 29 years ago, on April 25, 1989. Conducted by Professor Bouchard, all 154 of Shakespeare’s sonnets were read aloud by 75 different volunteers. Much of the day was recorded by New Hampshire Public Radio, and The Union Leader was there to film Professor Landis Magnuson as he stepped outside in full Elizabethan attire.

It was not long before the Anselmian Abbey Players became a part of the event, adding their own flair to the tradition by performing various scenes from Shakespeare’s plays. Davison chefs also pitch in by baking a cake and, every year, a student is selected to design the annual Shakespeare party-button, which is bestowed upon each sonnet reader.

Today, still led by Professor Bouchard, the festivities have only grown in size since the first gathering. A group of thirty visitors from Austin Preparatory High School, twenty or more alumni graduating from years 1956 to 2016, the Abbey Players, and many more can be found at this year’s Shakespeare celebration.

Over time, the number of orators has only increased. From a respectable 75 in 1989, the number reached 150 in 2015, and this year, onlookers can expect to hear from over 160. What’s more, spectators will witness poems recited in a range of different languages over the course of the day. This year, Professor Bouchard states, “we will hear sonnets recited in French, Spanish, Russian, Norwegian, and Chinese, and if we are lucky, we will also hear some sung.”

When asked about the impact of the festivities on the community, Professor Bouchard says, “It is an enormous amount of work to plan and orchestrate every year, but in the end I love bringing people into close or near proximity with poetry who would never otherwise be so.” The celebration, now considered “a rite of spring,” has doubtlessly imparted a deeper appreciation of Shakespeare’s work – and poetry in general – to the Anselmian community.

So, whether you’re reciting one of Shakespeare’s poems or simply stopping by to enjoy the show, joining this annual celebration will certainly be worth your while. As Bouchard points out, “Everyone loves birthday cake and, oh, the sonnets are pretty darn good too.”

The opening sonnet will be held at 10 a.m. on the quad in front of Alumni Hall, and the Abbey Players are scheduled to perform at 11:15 a.m., 12:15 p.m., and 2:15 p.m.

In case of poor weather, the likely rain-site will be in the lobby of the Dana Center.