Students prepare to deliver food, clothing, and furniture to families in need

Crier\Saint Anselm College Blog

(Left to right): Amy Vachon ’17, Charles Dooley ’16, Madison Vigneault ’18, Josh Post ’16, Paul Trabucco ’16, Amelia Way ’16, Mar- garet Lynch ’17, and Jessica Gipson ’16 at the 2016 Food, Clothing, & Furniture drive.

Becca Hurd, Crier Staff

As the year draws to a close, some Anselmians are not finished with their service for the year. The end of another spring semester brings with it the annual week-long Food, Clothing, & Furniture Drive (FCF).

The drive became a tradition in 2008, when it began as a small food drive. It has blossomed since then into an extensive student-led event, during which donations are collected, organized, and delivered to many charities and organizations in the area, specifically in Manchester, Bedford, and Nashua.

In 2016, FCF donated to 90 with the help of all the donations. The drive has been successful in the Manchester area over the past few years and has expanded to Nashua and Concord. This year, the goal of the drive is to help 100 families.

The drive is held at the end of the year so that donations can include items students might have simply thrown away upon moving out after finals. Such donations include non-perishable food and household items still in good condition, like cleaning supplies, lamps, chairs, rugs and other small furniture, cleaning supplies, and kitchenware.

Collection boxes for FCF are located all over campus during the last weeks of the semester. During the last week of finals, from Wednesday to Sunday, student volunteers will collect and deliver the donations in a rented U-Haul to families in need, which have previously included the International Institute and Catholic Charities.

Senior volunteer Franki Mullen explained the process the 40 or so FCF student participants use: “Once everyone leaves we do rounds to go pick up collections and bring it all to the Carr Center to sort. . . .We take all the leftovers to a cool place in Manchester that caters to a lot more families who need stuff.”

Senior Amy Vachon, FCF committee member, said “This is hands down the best thing I have done at this college as I think it embodies who we are as an institution. I love how everyone on this campus gets involved and selflessly gives to support our cause.”

This student-run program functions with the help of its six committee members: Carroll Bailey, Courtney Puccio, Amy Vachon, Georgie Rooney, Joey Smith, and Madison Vigneault. FCF and its mission is truly integrated into the college’s network, as it is supported by the Alumni Office, College Advancement, SGA, Dining Services, and Physical Plant.

“FCF has opened my eyes to so much, and I cannot wait to help a record-breaking number of families this year,” says Vachon. “Everything is appreciated and without it, FCF would not be a success.”