Anselm Community Remembers Lives of Two Alumnae

Sam Webb, Crier Staff

This summer was one of loss for the Anselmian community, as both Sarah Liamos ’14 and Kayla Bertolami ’15 suddenly passed away. Sarah was only weeks removed from graduating, and Kayla was preparing to enter her senior year here at Saint Anselm.

Sarah came to Saint A’s all the way from California, where she lived with her parents and served as a vibrant member of her community. One of the many things she was involved in at home was Camp Taylor in California, a camp for young cardiac patients.

Sarah herself was born with half a heart due to a rare congenital heart defect, but she certainly never let that stop her from enjoying the most out of her life.

At Saint Anselm, Sarah was a Kevin Harrington Student Ambassador for the NHIOP, which coupled well with her politics major. She was an intern for Fox News during the 2012 primaries and had a Criminal Justice minor.

Well beyond the Hilltop, Sarah was a volunteer at the Salvation Army afterschool program every week, and this past spring break partook in a Service and Solidarity trip to Camden, New Jersey. She had previously been on the Service and Solidarity trip to New Orleans.

After graduation, Sarah was enrolled at Suffolk University in Boston, where she was planning to study as a paralegal beginning this semester. She was also a member of the summer intern program at Insulet Corp. in their legal department.

Upon hearing of her passing, the college community bonded together in remembering Sarah and her impact during here time here.

Many reflected that her smile and laugh were absolutely contagious and that she made any room brighter with her joy for life.

Sarah passed away suddenly on June 1, 2014 while she was preparing to move to Boston.

Only a short time later, Kayla Bertolami, a rising senior, passed away on July 29.

Kayla was a Computer Science major with minors in Web Design and business management. She was supposed to graduate a semester early in December, only a few courses away from completing her degree.

Kayla was also a big part of HawkNet, the on-campus Information Technology customer support system. She is remembered in this program to be very helpful and the perfect example of “service with a smile.”

Besides her studies and work with HawkNet, Kayla was an avid enjoyer of the outdoors, being a member of Venture Crew, a co-ed branch of the Boy Scouts through which she was able to express her love for kayaking and hiking.

Her friends and family remember her fondly as someone always willing to help others and more than welcoming to all.

One Saint Anselm student recalls that “Kayla was easily one of the most driven people I’ve ever met. If she wanted to accomplish something, nothing would stop her. Her work ethic and love for her family are the two things that stood out most to me.”

Similarly, another Saint Anselm student remembers her as a “kind, friendly, helpful, [and] a truly wonderful person.”

Many others noted that she was overall a very caring and loving individual.

Both Kayla and Sarah are deeply missed by their friends, families, and the Anselmian community.

~

Memorial masses will be held on September 28 at 2:00pm for Kayla and at 11:00 on October 5 for Sarah, both at the Abbey Church. A gathering with a light reception will be held after each mass.