Jenna Baker ’18 organizes ‘Spotlight on Syria’ event

Caitlin D’Amato, Crier Staff

The event “Spotlight on Syria” held on campus allowed students to gain a better understanding the Syrian refugee crisis and to connect with faculty members to discuss what can be done at Saint Anselm College to help.

Jenna Baker, class of 2018, helped organize the event. Baker told The Crier, “I think that events like this allow students to learn more about current issues taking place around the world and how to respond to them. I think that college life can get pretty busy sometimes so it is hard to keep up to date with everything going on. Events like this aid students in better understanding what we hear about on the news from local experts.”

The event consisted of a panel of varied professionals who explained what the refugee crisis is as well as provided students with a better understanding of the current political climate in Syria. This panel also explored varied perspectives on how the US can respond to the Syrian refugee crisis.

Sitting on this panel was Dr. Anne Holthoefer, Mr. Amadou Hamady, Attorney Enrique Mesa, Dr. Daniel Daly, and Mrs. Melinda Malik. Dr. Anne Holthoefer is the Assistant professor in the Politics Department here at Saint Anselm College.

Professor Holthoefer’s research focusses on the role of international norms and law in global governance, as well as questions of international justice, morality and ethics.

Mr. Amadou Hamady is the Manchester site director for the International Institute of New England which is an organization that strives to prepare refugees and immigrants for participation in the social, economic and political life of American citizenship.

Attorney Enrique Mesa is the immigration lawyer for Law Serve here in Manchester working with cases involving green card, deportation, naturalization and deferred action.

Dr. Daniel Daly is the associate professor and chair of the Theology Department here at Saint Anselm College. Dr. Daly has a PHD in theological ethics and a Masters in Theology. His research has centered on global social structures and their discernable moral character.

Lastly, Mrs. Melinda Malik is the Head of Reference and Instructional Services at Geisel Library. Melinda has a Master of Science in Library Science as well as a Master of Education in Higher Education. In her role at Geisel Library she works closely with both faculty and students to support information literacy skill development. Her research interests focus on using student development and adult learning theories in the teaching and learning of information literacy competencies.