Making kids smile at holiday fair helps beat a consumer Christmas through Holiday Fair

Vanessa Burton, Crier Staff

Starting with Black Friday, the Christmas season officially begins as stores open late Thanksgiving night with door buster deals, flash sales, and buy one get one free offers that send the average American into a frenzy. Floods of people trek to their chosen stores, searching for the best deal for their wallet.

This year alone, about 133.7 million people took advantage of the Black Friday weekend, spending $380.95 million in the course of four days, according to the New York Times.

The red and green signs donned with snowflakes and decorative trees reflect what has taken over the Christmas season: consumerism.

Once a holiday about the birth of Jesus Christ, Christmas has become the epitome of consumerism in the American people.

After a day of giving thanks, society then turns to wanting and shopping as it prepares for the season. A holiday that is meant for spending time with one another has evolved into a whirlwind of giving: presents and money have replaced joy and love.

But under the looming materialistic values of our culture are the hidden efforts to keep the Christmas spirit alive. At Saint Anselm, students find time between last minute papers and studying for finals to spread Christmas cheer.

The annual Holiday Fair is one of the many events that students participate in to reach out to the community.

This year on December 6, over 200 children in the Manchester area were treated to craft tables, treats, and love as students of Saint Anselm donated three hours of their time on a Saturday morning.

Tables lined the Carr Center with face painting, ornament decorating, and reindeer food, all put together by the Meelia Center and student club volunteers.

In return, the students received warm laughs, smiles, and thanks from the parents and children alike. The happiness and Christmas spirit of the event cannot be given a price.

In the midst of the highest level of consumerism that our country has ever seen, the true love of Christmas is kept alive by those who try. With the help of community members like these students at Saint Anselm, the meaning of Christmas can be preserved.

This holiday season, apart from the door busters and abundance of sales, it is important to remember the little things in life that money can never buy.