Women’s basketball continues up and down play in 2016-2017 season

Connor MacGregor, Crier Staff

After a 3-0 start to the season the Lady Hawks basketball team is struggling lately losing four of their last five, most recently to Assumption 65-52 on Dec. 6.

Their first loss of the season came in a nail biter against the Stonehill Skyhawks on Nov. 27.  Both teams mounted immense comebacks from double digit deficits at several points.

Despite a strong showing from the senior class, led by Candace Andrews and Caitlyn Abela, the Hawks fell 60-59 in the final seconds of the game with Andrews missing a last second jumper for the win. Andrews finished the game with a team-high 19 points while adding two rebounds, five steals and six assists. Abela snagged 12 points while tacking on six rebounds. The other standout performer for the Hawks was Freshman Sarah Messler who chipped in eight points, eight rebounds and three assists.

After the disheartening loss, the Hawks went back to action at home against the #11 Bentley Falcons on Nov. 30. The Falcons cruised to a 67-54 victory against the Hawks. Andrews had 21 points, seven rebounds, three assists and six steals for the Hawks in the game. Fellow senior Kaila Duarte had 13 points and 7 rebounds for Saint A’s.

The Hawks kept the game very close in the first two quarters, even holding a 3 point lead headed into halftime, but once the third quarter begun the Falcons pulled away. Despite the Hawks matching the Falcons shooting percentage at 40% and even leading in rebounds, Saint A’s committed 22 turnovers creating a deep hole that they couldn’t climb out of.

The Hawks then played Merrimack College in a double-overtime 76-70 thriller on Dec. 3. Candace Andrews posted her first double-double of the season with 24 points, and 10 rebounds. She added five assists, four steals and two blocks too. Kaila Duarte posted nine points, 17 rebounds and two blocks against the Warriors.

The game mimicked the Hawks match against Stonehill heavily; there were several lead changes and serious deficits that both teams came back from. Late in regulation, the Hawks held a five point lead with only a minute to play, however the Warriors were able to make two key defensive stops to make up the difference and force a first overtime.

Once again the Hawks led by two late in overtime, but after a blocked shot the Warriors were able to get an offensive rebound and tie the game once again to force a second overtime. In the second overtime session the Hawks were finally able to pull away to win 76-70 snapping a three game skid.

When asked about her outlook on the season, head coach Julie Plant responded “We have very high goals this season, our team is working to earn another NCAA tournament bid and we have the goal of winning an NE-10 Championship this year.  It will take a lot of hard work and our team coming together and competing on both ends of the floor consistently.  We have great talent and leadership and are hopeful to make a run at another NCAA tournament appearance.”