Women’s ice hockey on a roll

Crier\Tim Mannila

Junior Paige Gorecki on ice for the Hawks against UNE.

Dan Flatley, Crier Staff

The Saint Anselm women’s ice hockey team has been on fire so far in 2017.  The Hawks have played six games so far, posting five wins and one loss while outscoring their opponents at an astonishing 31 – 6 through these six games.

They are currently riding high on a four game winning streak as well.  The women played at Franklin Pierce on Sat., January 7; home against Amherst on Wed., January 11; home against Stevenson on Sat., January 14; home against Trinity on Wed., January 18; at New England College on Fri., January 20; and home for Alumni Day on Sat., January 21, against University of New England.

After these six games the Saint Anselm Hawks have an overall record of 13 wins, 2 losses, and 2 ties and a New England Hockey Conference (NEHC) conference record of 10 wins and only 1 loss.  The women have posted an incredible goal differential of 79 goals for and only 22 goals against at this point for the season.

The only loss for the Hawks of the six games they have played so far in 2017 came at home against #8 Amherst College on Wed., January 11, with the final score being 3-1.  Freshman defender Megan Klaus scored the lone goal for the Hawks in this game, while this was sophomore goaltender Maddie Scavotto’s first loss of the season after starting 7-0-2 through the team’s first twelve games.

The remaining five games in 2017 were all wins for the Hawks.  In their first game of the New Year the Hawks beat Franklin Pierce by a score of 5-1.

The Hawks lit up the scoreboard early with senior Alison Butler’s power play goal coming just 6:01 into the game.  They then tallied three more unanswered goals, two of those coming off the stick of Megan Klaus. Senior Captain Victoria Shea added the other goal between Klaus’ two goals.

The final goal for the Hawks was scored by Alison Butler, her second of the game.  Maddie Scavotto made 14 saves on 15 shots in the game getting her seventh win of the season, elevating her record to 7-0-2.  Alison Butler (2 goals, 2 assists, 4 points), Megan Klaus (2 goals, 1 assist, 3 points), and senior Martha Findley (3 assists, 3 points) were named the three stars of the game.

After losing to Amherst, the Hawks responded with a dominant 6-0 win over Stevenson University.  The Hawks had six different goal scorers in this win.  Sophomore Sara McNamara, Alison Butler, junior Ashley Moran, freshman Amanda Conger, sophomore Caley Mueller, and senior Alison Quinn were the goal scorers.

Maddie Scavotto made all 9 saves in this game, posting her fourth shutout of the year and eighth win, with only 1 loss and 2 ties.  This win was the start of the current four game win streak that the Hawks are currently on.

In the first game with the entire student body back for the semester, the Hawks beat the lowly Trinity College Bantams with a final score of 5-1.  The Hawks again had five different goal scorers in this game.

Senior Alex Starzyk, freshman Kaley Campbell, junior Kaitlyn Spillane, sophomore Maura Kieft, and Martha Findley were the goal scorers for the Hawks.  In goal was Maddie Scavotto, making ten saves on eleven shots.  This was her ninth win of the season and this win pushed her record to 9-1-2.  This was a very heavily penalized game thoughout.

Trinity had 20 penalty minutes on 10 infractions and Saint Anselm had 16 penalty minutes on 8 infractions.  The Hawks went 3 for 9 on the power play and the Bantams went 0 for 7 on the power play.  After the dominant win over Trinity the Hawks took their two game winning streak on the road to play against the New England College Pilgrims.

This game had the same scoring result as the last, with the final score being 5-1 in favor of our Hawks.  The first star of this game was Saint Anselm’s Maura Kieft.  She secured a hat trick and an assist for four total points against the Pilgrims.  Kaitlyn Spillane and Sara McNamara had the Hawks remaining two goals in the game.

McNamara (1 goal, 1 assist, 2 points) was named the second star of the game.  Freshman goaltender Michaela Kane got her first career start as a Hawk and she made six saves on seven total shots in the game.

Finally, the Hawks took on the University of New England on Alumni Day on Sat., January 21.  The Hawks again dominated in this game, nearly matching their record goal total in a game of 14 with a final score of 9-0.  Senior Captain Victoria Shea had a hat trick and an assist in the game, while freshman Mary Morrison had two goals.  Maddie Scavotto recorded her tenth win and fifth shutout on the season.  Her record on the year at this point is an astonishing 10-1-2.

The other Hawk goal scorers were Ashley Moran, Alison Butler, Sara McNamara, and Martha Findley.  With this win the Hawks are now 13-2-2 overall.

The Hawks return to action in an important NEHC conference game Fri., January 27, at St. Michael’s College, with puck drop coming at 7:00 PM.  The Hawks hope to continue their four game winning streak in this matchup.