Women’s basketball defeats SNHU, will travel to AIC for NE10 quarterfinals

Crier\Tim Mannila

Seniors Candace Andrews, Caitlyn Abela, and Kaila Duarte with family on senior day.

Johnny Norton, Crier Staff

The Saint Anselm women’s basketball team defeated SNHU 69-60 in their final regular season matchup.Senior Caitlyn Abela led the way with 21 points in the game for the Hawks. They finished the regular season with an 18-9 record, third in the NE10’s Northeast Division.

A week earlier, the team defeated the Skyhawks of Stonehill College on Feb. 15, 63-53. Senior Candace Andrews led the team with a season high 26 points. Kaila Duarte added a double-double, scoring 14 points and grabbing 13 rebounds. The Hawks improved to 17-8 on the season, and 12-7 in NE10 conference play.

After trading baskets in the first half, Stonehill capped off the period with a 4-0 run to take a 17-12 lead. After the break, the Hawks pulled ahead to a 20-17 lead, with help from senior Duarte, scoring six of the team’s eight points during the run. Stonehill would answer soon after, hitting two jump shots to tie the game at 23.

With five minutes remaining in the half, the Hawks rattled off a 13-5 run. Duarte scored six points during the stretch, leading the team into halftime with a 36-28 lead.

Saint Anselm was able to fight off any attack that Stonehill formed, answering a 7-0 run in the third with a deep three from sophomore Emma Daly and a last second shot from junior Clairee Putnam to give the Hawks a 49-41 lead heading into the fourth. Junior Ali Glennon hit a three pointer to widen the gap. Four straight free throws sealed the win for the Hawks.

The Hawks traveled to Waltham, MA for their game against Bentley on Feb. 18. Saint Anselm suffered a crushing defeat, falling to #15 Bentley in conference play. The score was 92-66. Bentley outscored Saint Anselm in field goals and secured a whopping 52 rebounds as opposed to the Hawks’ 26 rebounds. Senior Candace Andrews led the Hawks with 21 points and 7 assists. Senior Kaila Duarte managed 9 rebounds.

The Hawks will play at American International on Feb. 26 at 3 p.m. in the first round of the Northeast-10 Conference playoffs.