Men’s tennis continues to struggle with 8-1 loss against Adelphi

Crier\Tim Mannila

Junior Adam Weinstein prepares to fire a firm serve.

Stephan Maranian, Sports Editor

Saint Anselm’s men’s tennis team suffered a tough home loss on Saturday March 25 against Adelphi in conference play. The match ended with a score of 8-1

The Hawks have not had the best month thus far. Their first match of the spring semester was a smashing 8-1 victory over Endicott. The team then went to Florida over spring break and lost three straight matches to Rio Piedras of Puerto Rico, Wayne State, and Bentley. Upton their return, the Hawks lost to Nichols College 9-0.

The Hawks finally returned to conference play at home against Assumption College. Unfortunately, the close match resulted in a 5-4 loss. Saint Anselm bounced back as they defeated St. Michael’s College in a strong 7-2 victory in Vermont on March 21.

Junior Kyle Harris continued to play well for the Hawks as he won his third-straight match, earning the sole point for the Hawks. Harris defeated his opponent, Connor Dove, 8-4.

The Crier caught up with Harris to gain a player’s prospective about the match. “Adelphi is one of the top teams in the league and always a tough team to play. They play well and are extremely consistent. Coach Alejandro wants us to keep fighting point after point and not focus on the outcome of every match we play. We take away things from each match and work on them in practice in preparation for the next team we play.”

Besides for Harris’ win, Adelphi won every other singles match. Junior Brian Kavanagh played valiantly and held his ground but in the end fell in both his doubles and singles matches. The Hawks move to 8-7 for their season record.

The next match for the Hawks will be on Friday April 4 when Saint Anselm hosts Franklin Pierce University at 3 p.m.