Pacitti’s overtime winner rallies #17 men’s lacrosse past Assumption; squad downs crosstown rival SNHU

Courtesy\Hawks Athletics

Sophomore Teo Olsen moves to fire a shot on net.

Johnny Norton, Crier Staff

Senior Alex Pacitti scored with 2:54 remaining in overtime to lift the Hawks past the Greyhounds of Assumption College on April 15th, 10-9. Saint Anselm battled back from an 8-4 deficit in the fourth quarter to improve to 6-4 on the season, and 5-3 in NE10 play.

Pacitti scored four goals in the win, with senior James Olsen netting five and two assists. On defense, senior Brennan Quackenbush and junior Drew Bourdeau combined for four turnovers, with junior goalie Lucas DeAngelo making seven saves to improve to six wins on the season.

The teams would trade goals in the first, with help from Olsen and sophomore Anthony Busconi. However, Assumption would score two goals in the final two minutes to take a 3-2 lead. To start the second, Pacitti scored his first goal of the game off of an assist by Olsen to tie the game at three. Assumption would answer with a goal of their own, but Pacitti would counter again to even the score with 3:45 left in the second. In the final 36 seconds of the first half, Assumption rattled off a 3-0 run to head into the break with a 7-4 lead.

After a defensive battle in the third, Assumption scored the only goal of the quarter to extend their lead to four. Saint Anselm wasted no time mounting their comeback in the fourth. Olsen netted two goals in the first three minutes to bring the Hawks to within two. However, the Greyhounds scored on a man-up advantage to extend their lead with under five minutes to play.

With 3:24 left in the game, Pacitti tallied his second goal of the game, going top shelf to bring the Hawks to within two. 14 seconds later, Olsen tore through the Assumption defense to make it a one goal game. As Assumption came down the field on attack, the Hawk’s defense forced a turnover with 42 seconds remaining. Coming out of a timeout, Olsen received a pass behind the net and whipped around to score, tying the game at 15 seconds. After the game, Olsen credited his teammates stating, “I couldn’t have done it if it wasn’t for the execution from the other five guys on the field.”

The Hawks would dominate in overtime, eventually leading to Pacitti receiving the ball at the top of the zone. After shedding off his defender with a spin move, he buried a rocket top shelf to give the Hawks the victory. Pacitti said that the key to the victory was staying, “composed, disciplined and patient.” Despite coming back from a three goal deficit with three minutes remaining, the Hawks dominated the Greyhounds, out shooting them 38-29.

The Hawks took the field for perhaps their biggest game of the season, facing off against crosstown rival, #16 Southern New Hampshire on April 19 and the Hawks won by a 19-9 final score. Alex Pacitti, Patrick Sweeney and Mark Vitello each netted four goals apiece for Saint Anselm. 

Hawk men’s lacrosse will return to action on Saturday April 22 on the road at Bentley.

This article was updated to reflect the results of the Hawks win over SNHU