Ryan Sanford

Steven Stanko, Crier Staff

Whether at the coffee shop, on the quad, or at a local bar, chances are you have seen and heard Ryan Sanford in the limelight.

Currently a senior at Saint A’s, the singer- songwriter is more than capable of quieting an audience with his sonorous vocals and impressive guitar skills. While only in his twenties, Ryan has honed a stage presence that puts the average talent show warrior to shame.
Ryan hails from Bedford, New Hampshire and has been surrounded by music all of his life. While traveling Europe in his early twenties, Ryan’s dad brought home an assortment of unique musical instruments.
Growing up around such a diverse selection of musical styles has led Ryan to craft his own fusion of soul, indie and soft rock. With the exception of cello lessons from ages eight to fourteen, it is important to note that he is completely musically self-taught.
His skill does not end with the cello though, he is more than confident crafting tunes with the guitar, mandolin, mandola, ukulele, harmonica, or banjo. Not to mention he knows a thing or two about the drums.
Ryan cites impressive acts such as Ed Sheeran, BB King, and Mumford and Sons as having played big roles in inspiring him to chase his dreams. It is evident in his music that his smooth, catchy, acoustic style is influenced by such legends.
He showcases his songs every chance he gets and they are more than well received by audiences. His confident stage presence and intricate songs have gained him a local reputation and he shows no intention of slowing down anytime soon.
Some of Ryan’s recent shows include solo efforts at Milly’s Tavern, The Wild Rover, Apotheca and Cafe Le Reine. Also, this past summer he played several Brewfests and serenaded a cruise on Lake Sunapee.
Ryan’s most impressive shows to date include opening for acts such as Eric Paslay and American Idol winner Kris Allen. The show with Kris Allen took place on the Saint Anselm quad two weekends ago, where he was surrounded by his biggest fans: his classmates.
In true school spirit many of the students showed up and cheered Ryan on, only to depart when his set was over and Kris Allen was starting. It really says a lot about a young musician when his fans find him more exciting than an American Idol winner.
Ryan is currently in the process of recording his first single “Sarcastic Girl.” He is three studio sessions deep and has high hopes for his debut song. Also this winter he has plans to release his first demo.
Fans of Ryan can sleep easy knowing their iPhones will soon have plenty of his music. It is no doubt that there is a rising star in attendance at Saint Anselm College and it would be a true mistake to miss his performances.
Before long Ryan will graduate and has big plans to sail to the Bahamas and write an album while on the way. So while he is still here, make sure to seize the moment and help a fellow Anselmian reach for his dreams.