Committee encourages efforts for campus-wide recycling

April Regan, Freelance Reporter

The Environmental Stewardship Committee may not be very well known, but they are responsible for keeping this school updated and energy efficient.

The Committee consists of 9 members, ranging from students to professors to members administration.

Its sole purpose it to reduce energy consumption by implementing “green” initiatives.

The initiatives have included improving recycling operations across campus, and replacing outdated light bulbs with newer, efficient CFL and LED bulbs across the campus.

The Committee admits that there is still more work to do, yet these simple changes have led to a dramatic reduction in the college’s carbon footprint.

The Environmental Stewardship Committee has had more of an impact than one may think on the operations of this school.

The Davison staff now recycles all the plastic waste they receive, and offer composite take out containers as opposed to foam.

Professors and administrators are encouraged to recycle and share paper resources and the school itself continues to switch to more energy efficient oil heaters, water heaters and water fountains.

As of 2013, the College had reduced its carbon emissions by over 1004 tons.

While members of the Green Team and ECRC are actively involved with the Environmental Stewardship Committee, it is clear that students may be able to offer opinions for the committee as well.

“I feel like there is more awareness for environmental issues, and the New Hall shows an effort from Saint Anselm,” said Senior Kathleen Procek.

She also suggested more high powered Dyson hand dryers in more bathrooms and a more efficient campus-wide recycling system.

Dr. Jay Pitocchelli of the Committee stated “These initiatives are only a partial listing of all the green efforts on campus. We welcome any and all suggestions to make the campus a greener place.”

Students are invited to share their comments by emailing [email protected].