Women’s ice hockey at 11-4-2;looking to finish season strong

Mary Regan, Crier Staff

Our Lady Hawks-on-ice have powered through two thirds of their season with great success. They kicked off the season back in November with four back-to-back wins and have since advanced to a record of 11-4-2.

They have recently been on another hot streak, interrupted only by an overtime tie against Norwich University earlier this month.

Senior, Tiffany Herron, shared some good insight about the condition of the team and what their goals have been this season. The second-year captain cited the big game against Norwich and the team’s trip to Minnesota to play The College of St. Scholastica earlier this month as the two highlights of the season.

They returned from Minnesota with one win and one loss. Although Herron admitted to be looking for a tough win against the Norwich Lady Cadets, the overtime tie was most certainly seen as an improvement after last season’s loss to the fierce competitors.

The Lady Hawks seem to be living up to Herron’s expectations this season: “We are a really good team, every game we expect to do well and expect to win, we stack up well and compete with everyone” she said.

She described this season’s team as a bit on the younger side, as over half the squad are underclassmen, but said, “having five freshman has been easier because upperclassmen have been mentoring them and they are fitting in and making a great impact right away”.

Sophomores, Alison Quinn and Alexandra Starzyk, lead the team in points, while freshman, Kaitlin Spillane has racked up 4 goals and 4 assists in her 16 games played.

We hope to see the team keep the momentum going strong after a 6-1 win over Castleton on January 23rd and a 5-0 win over Holy Cross on January 24th.

Herron cited the two losses in December as “kind of a rough way to go into break” but said that, “second semester is usually different in a good way, February is more important than November, we want to be playing at our best at that point in the season”.

With only one loss in the team’s 7 games they have played so far this month, it seems that captain does know best.

Make your way over to Sullivan Arena and support the Lady Hawks’ as they close out the regular season with three home games in late February. Go Hawks!