Men’s and women’s ski teams off to strong starts on the hill this season

Mary Regan, Crier Staff

The men’s and women’s ski teams have done very well this season and represented Saint Anselm in a dominate way atop major New England mountains this winter. Both teams have finished 6th or better at all contests this season against eight other teams in the division.

The Crier sat down with sophomore skier, Alvaro Polo, and senior captain, Eric Brandolini, this week to hear how the men reflect on the season, along with what their team goals and keys to success are.

Both skiers agreed that planning for next season is in the forefront of the team’s mind at this stage.

“Although I won’t be with the team next year, we are hoping for some new recruits and the team is very much looking forward to helping the younger half of the team grow as skiers”, said Brandolini.

As far as keys to success for next year, Brandolini noted that “good dry land training (off season running and weight lifting) from September to December is needed because results are made just as much off the hill as they are on.”

Polo named stronger team work and support as key, while also pointing out that “the new coaches are great this season and definitely brought unity and professionalism to the group”.

Although the men’s squad is doubtful that they will be competing in the regionals competition this year, as a top skier, Brandolini has a unique opportunity to make it further into regionals, and potentially nationals, as an individual racer.

The women’s ski team has been very successful this year. The squad of 9 is made up of three seniors, four sophomores, and two freshman. Captain, Jolie Poirier, expressed that “the season is going really well, the freshman are very good skiers and the team as a whole has been skiing strongly”.

Poirier noted the highlight of the season being the team finishing 4th at their home race on Crotchet mountain on the first weekend of this month. The women’s team is more optimistic about making it to the Regional competition, but like the men, Poirier also named a more intensive preseason program as something to further their success next season.

Overall all of our Hawks on the Hill have had great seasons so far and have worked hard to establish the Saint Anselm ski teams as forces to be reckoned with. Congratulations on a strong season and good luck to the skiers who chase their post season goals!