Many march in solidarity with women worldwide

Courtesy\Jackie Parece

Seniors Katie Duane and Jackie Parece at Women’s March in Concord, N.H.

Johanna Materazzo, Crier Staff

Just one day after President Trump’s inauguration, the Women’s March took place in cities all across the country and even select cities worldwide, including London, Paris, and Melbourne. The March on Washington aimed to protest our new president and some of his decisions and words. From Los Angeles to Boston to Washington D.C., men, women, and children gathered and walked the streets with posters celebrating women’s rights and promoting unity and peace. More than one million people worldwide took part in the Women’s March, many wearing pink in order to show that they stand in solidarity with women everywhere.

On Sunday morning, President Trump took to Twitter, saying, “Watched protests yesterday but was under the impression that we just had an election! Why didn’t these people vote?” He later tweeted a more appeasing response to the protests, saying, “Peaceful protests are a hallmark of our democracy. Even if I don’t always agree, I recognize the rights of people to express their views.”

Hillary Clinton, who did not attend the march, tweeted in gratitude to women: “Thanks for standing, speaking, & marching for our values @womensmarch. Important as ever. I truly believe we’re always stronger together.” Clinton, who frequently used the phrase “stronger together” throughout her campaign, made sure she focused on positivity rather than her former opponent.

Many found it inspiring to see people of all sexes, ethnicities, backgrounds, sexualities, and religions march together. The acknowledgment that certain change must be made seems even more necessary as Americans are being faced with a new president whose comments and actions have disturbed many.

Many faculty members in our Saint Anselm community decided to take part in various marches, including Deb McCarter-Spaulding, Nicole Gugliucci, Maggie Dimock, Sara Kallock, and Jennifer Thorn. Some even brought their children.

Many Saint Anselm College students also attended various marches, some making signs that read “Love Your Neighbor” and “Still Like Dust I Rise,” referencing Maya Angelou’s poem “Still I Rise.”

Senior nursing major Jackie Parece, who attended the Women’s March in Concord, NH, said, “It was great! There were many speakers who discussed social injustices and brought the crowd together. Everyone was there to peacefully represent his or her views. One speaker talked about the need for everyone to show love and respect to all humans, not just those whose opinions are the same as one’s own–she emphasized the importance to recognize our own biases and overcome them with love for all of humanity.”

Parece continued, “I did not really know what to expect when I went to the march at first, but I feel as though I learned a lot and I am very grateful that I was able to experience it.”

Many find this emphasis on positivity both uplifting and inspiring, to be seen as a way to bring people together rather than to divide.