Spring Weekend 2017 – ‘No place I’d rather be’

Crier\Catie Griffin

Clean Bandit performing at the college during spring weekend.

Ginger Gates, Crier Staff

This past weekend, the Class of 2020 celebrated their first Spring Weekend, while the Class of 2017 celebrated their last. It was a weekend to remember, opening with comedian Tommy Ryman on Thursday, April 27.  Ryman, who was a semifinalist on NBC’s Last Comic Standing was met with an enthusiastic audience. Senior Johanna Materazzo said of the performance “I thought it was funny, smart, and a great way to kick off spring weekend.”

On Friday night, students attended the Glow Dance Party, a free event hosted by the Student Government Association and Campus Activities Board.  Students were encouraged to wear neon. Held in Sullivan Arena, the event featured dance music played by DJs.

Senior Taylor Picariello enjoyed the event and asked of her fellow Anselmians, “Who doesn’t love a good dance party?”

The final event for Spring Weekend was perhaps the most anticipated in the wake of last year’s cancellation of the Spring Concert.  Once again hosted in Sullivan Arena, Starley, the opening singer from Sydney, Australia opened at around 8:30 p.m..

With doors closing at 9:30 p.m., buzz was beginning by 9:45 p.m. that perhaps headliner Clean Bandit had gotten sick.  But by 10 p.m., Clean Bandit arrived on the stage to an enthusiastic crowd.

The band consisted of six members: two men, and four women.  Senior Caitlyn Abela found the female-lead vocals empowering: “It’s awesome to see four talented, skilled women take the stage and own it.  I had a great time and I think it was the best concert I’ve seen here at SAC.”

Abela was not the only student who enjoyed Clean Bandit; in fact, students loved their performance so much that the band came back on stage at the end of their set to perform a two-song encore.  Among the songs was their hit single “Rather Be,” the theme of this year’s Spring Weekend, and an unofficial anthem for the class of 2017.