Union Leader recognizes 4 alumni with ‘Forty Under Forty’ program

Kailyn Gallagher, Editor-in-Chief

The Union Leader’s annual 40 Under Forty list recognizes NH’s brightest young achievers who have a record of professional and volunteer accomplishments. 2015’s list includes four St. As alumni: Kate Giaquinto ’10, Keith Raho ’07, Alex Puglisi ’11 and Carey Cahoon ’98.

Carey Cahoon ’98

Cahoon finds and shares values in theater and art

Carey Cahoon co-founded the theater KAPOW with her husband whom she met while attending SAC. The theater is in its 7th season and has performed, The Burial at Thebes, Penelope, Desdemona and the Zoo Story, and offers training classes. It was her husband Matthew who nominated Cahoon for this year’s 40 Under Forty class.

She joined the world of theater during her senior year of high school and fell in love with it. She continued her acting career at SAC by joining the Abbey players. After she graduated with a degree in classics, she was working for the Palace Theater in marketing and development which is what lead her to working at the Currier museum. Cahoon found that when she was not working at a theater she was able to do more of the type of theater she loved.

For 12 years she directed the Abbey’s spring musical, and still works designing sets.

While she was a student the two most memorable plays she participated in were Godspell, which was a cast of ten who became very close, and Much Ado About Nothing which she was in with her future husband.

These experiences allowed her to explore theater and leadership hands on which ultimately helped prepare her for her career. Cahoon trained with the Atlantic Theater Company and the Siti Company continuing to expand her knowledge of theater. She still practices the vocal exercises that she learned from her time with each company.

Keith Raho ’07

Raho puts skills with pen and keyboard to aid the suffering

Keith Raho is a grant writer for Easter Seals which is a nonprofit, community-based health agency dedicated to helping children and adults with disabilities.

Raho participated in three Spring Break Alternative (SBA) trips while at SAC and quickly realized he had a passion for helping people. While on the SBA Maryland trip his Junior year he worked closely with a student at the Benedictine School for people with Autism. This student made a special impact on Raho, he told a story about the student (Jeffrey) and how he had received a package from his parents. The package contained some chocolates, Jeffrey wanted one and the workers at the school said no. Jeffrey got upset and increasingly so and was eventually allowed to have one. When he was given the chocolate he turned around and handed it to Raho.

While the other trips were also meaningful for Raho, this one in particular helped direct him towards his work in non-profit.

Raho mentioned that before graduation Fr. Jonathan asked him for writing piece he had down about his SBA trip, nothing thinking, much about it he gave it to him. During graduation Fr. Jonathan made a reference to excellence the class had achieved and then quoted from Raho’s writing, “It was really an amazing feeling,” he said.

He had a wide range of experiences while at SAC, he was an intern at the Hippo Press, wrote various articles for the Crier and also submitted cartoons. He participated in art shows at the Comiskey Center, as well as wrote for Quatrain.

He believes that getting involved was a very important part of his time at SAC, “you learn new skills about yourself, and the school challenges you to try new things.”

Kate Giaquinto ’10

Giaquinto walks the halls of state capitol with smiles, skills

Kate Giaquinto was recognized for her positive contribution as the communications director of the New Hampshire Senate. During her time at Saint Anselm, Giaquinto majored in English and minored in Communication, as well as working on the Crier and working at the New Hampshire Institute of Politics. She worked at the Institute for two years after she graduated where she worked editing videos, promoting events and professors, along with general public relations work.

“I have always liked how politics and communication intersect; they are integral to each other,” said Giaquinto.

Her work with the New Hampshire Senate consists of working with all 24 senators writing press releases, bills, or statements. She explained, “It is like corporate PR, with 24 clients at once.”

Giaquinto described her job as rewarding because of her ability to help others make an impact.

By helping others promote a good cause and get their message across clearly and effectively can determine their success. She said it can be a lot at once but that it is fun.

Her studies at SAC allowed for her to experience new opportunities and have internships that exposed her to different types of work letting her explore what different career paths may be like.

While Giaquinto worked exceptionally hard on her academics she said that some of her favorite memories are from the late nights in the Crier office; “I had a great mentor in Father Jerome, and he taught me a great deal of things.”

Alex Puglisi ’11

Puglisi sets a royal table for coffee and conversation

Alex Puglisi is the most recent SAC graduate and the owner of Café La Reine on Elm street in Manchester. Not only was she named one of the Union Leader’s 40 Under Forty, but she was also named one of WZID’s 20 Outstanding Women for 2015.

While getting her degree in business, Puglisi noticed that there was not a good place for students or professionals to go where they could do their in a relaxed atmosphere. After many conversations with her professors and adviser Professor Romps, she embarked on a journey to fill the need of the Manchester community.

Leaving SAC and it’s feeling of comradery she wanted to give back and help foster that same feeling amongst the businesses and patrons of the city. While it has not all been easy, she has had to come up with new and inexpensive and free ways of advertising since money is not always abundant when opening a new business. Puglisi said that her two sisters, Lauren ’15 and Lindsey ’17 who also attend SAC have been a great help in spreading the word about Café La Reine.

Her affinity for café culture was bolstered by Professor Mahoney’s Paris New York class and Puglisi hopes to eventually expand and spread the café vibe around the city.

Professor Romps and Professor Mahoney are just two members of the SAC community the inspired her. Her time at SAC taught her that, “you can do whatever you set out to do if you work hard and use your contacts and resources that are available to you.”

When asked what her favorite memory from college was she said, “That first day on campus when you are all sitting on the lawn and they tell you that the next time you will all be there together again is graduation, then when you get to graduation and are thinking back on that day and all your have done, it is really a great feeling.”