Saint A’s ranks 235 out of 1000 Colleges

Crier\Liz Torrey

Fireworks over Alumni Hall at the end of the 2013-14 school year.

Nicolette Manzi, Crier Staff

In the recent Wall Street Journal article on the higher education rankings, Saint Anselm College was ranked 235 out of 1,000 colleges and universities, tying with Providence College.

This ranking is based on a variety of factors, such as environment, resources and engagement. Saint Anselm ranked 24.8 out of 40 for outcomes, 17.2 out of 30 for resources, 15.2 out of 10 for environment; leaving Saint Anselm with a total score of 58.7 out of 100 for overall score.President DiSalvo commented on what this rank means for Saint Anselm and the value it holds.

“This particular ranking focuses on student-driven data regarding outcomes, student engagement and teaching excellence, rather than other traditional quantitative ranking markers, such as admission selectivity,” said DiSalvo. “I’m very proud of the great work that our faculty and staff do in providing support and opportunity for our students, so I was very pleased to see those, along with our vibrant community life, reflected by the Wall Street Journal. Rankings like this are raising awareness amongst prospective students regarding the experiences available to them on our campus both in and out of the classroom.”

One of the admission coordinators, Kelsey Wash, comments on what this new ranking means for the tour process and Saint A’s as a whole.

“The ranking in the admission office is a huge success. The two rankings our tour guides reference most often while showing the campus is being 6th in the nation for community service and 10th in the nation for dining hall services,” said Walsh.

“Those rankings are a significant to a perspective student because it is easily relatable,” Walsh continued. “Being a small liberal arts school it is hard to get our campus on the map, this current ranking has helped. It has not changed our admission process too much just added another shining light. It’s one more positive that our office is proud about”.

Walsh also comments further on how the Wall Street journal ranking of Saint Anselm College helps make Saint A’s a standout to prospective students in areas such as future career advancements.

“When working with prospective students and their families, it is often helpful to provide concrete examples and evidence of our successes. Rankings like this can pinpoint strong opportunities and experiences, letting them know that our top employers include Mass General Hospital and Fidelity Investments showcasing that a school this size can have a large footprint,” said Walsh.

These rankings matter to perspective students because they demonstrate that this small school on the hilltop is capable of national recognition for excellence.