After Trump’s victory, we all need to remember to act like Americans

Stephan Maranian, Crier Staff

The United States was founded 240 years ago on July 4, 1776. The world watched as the colonies united together to drive arguably the most powerful nation in the world, Great Britain, out and establish independence. In the 18th century the world looked to America for inspiration. Today in the 21st century the world still looks to United States as one of the, if not the most, important global leaders.

Our country has just finished the elections and it is no secret that many are unhappy with the result. There will always be two polar opposite reactions to politics and complete public satisfaction with political leaders is nearly impossible. Every U.S. citizen over the age of 18 has the ability to vote for whomever and whatever that individual citizen believes in. Just as with religion, there are many and diverse political views, and everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

When word of Trump’s election was broadcast, thousands if not millions took to the streets in protest. Various demonstrations took place over the course of the three weeks following the election and still continue. A group of anti-Trump protestor coordinated the shutdown of a highway in Los Angeles for hours. College professors cancelled class to cope with the results. Protesters denounced Trump by yelling “not my president” and even went so far as to burn American flags.

The right to assemble and peaceful protest is guaranteed by the Constitution in the First Amendment. Voters who were against Trump have every right to assemble and express their concerns but it must be done in the correct manner. The various obstructive demonstrations are not what the Founding Fathers had in mind when they wrote the Constitution.

Burning the American flag is one of the most disrespectful and most unpatriotic things a person can do. Millions have died throughout history defending the American flag and it represents every American. The 50 stars represent each of the 50 states. The 13 stripes represent the 13 colonies who fought for independence in the American Revolution. The colors represent the patriotic ideals of the country. Red shows the fearless courage and sacrifice, white stands for liberty and equality for all, blue represents loyalty and faith. These are the values that represent America. Let us start to act and live by these patriotic ideals.

The media has painted a very negative picture of Trump and his beliefs.  Many are upset with his unfiltered rhetoric. It is no surprise that people have spoken out against this. There are legitimate concerns to address here as there are with any election. The fact of the matter is that we have no idea how Donald Trump will do as president. He won the election and so we as a united country should give him the chance with the role he has been given.

Right now, the country is divided: Democrat vs Republican, liberal vs conservative, globalization vs isolation, environment vs fossil fuel. There have always been two sides to the country, even before George Washington warned us of the dangers of political parties. During the American Revolution, many wished to remain under British control. However even then, at a turning point in which our country was formed (arguably much more drastic than one election), Americans moved on and united to work towards a better future. In 2016 we need to look to the strength shown by the founders of the United States and move on. The election is done and over with. We have our result. Donald Trump will be the 45th President of the United States. Let us move forward and work together as a united country to create the best possible future for ourselves and the entire world.

America is and always has been great. Even in our early days as a new country, we have served as a global inspiration. America is not home to one specific group of people. America is a melting pot of people, from the Native Americans who first inhabited the country to individuals who immigrated to the country today and everyone in between, this great country gives liberty, equality, and justice for all.