Field hockey climbs to number three in the nation, wins fifth consecutive game

Crier/Tim Mannila

Field hockey discussing game plan in a home contest versus St. Thomas Aquinas.

Payton Gullikson, Crier Staff

The Saint Anselm field hockey team has rallied off five straight victories and 13 of their last 14. The Hawks jumped all the way to number three in the national rankings, a program best. Most recently they were victorious against St. Michael’s College on Oct. 19 and a top ten ranked American International College squad on Oct. 15.

Freshman Michelle Lemelin helped give Saint A’s an early lead versus AIC on a deflection and junior Jackie Guillemette improved the lead to 2-0 with a goal just eight minutes later right before the end of the first half. The Yellow Jackets scored rather quickly in the second half, giving the Hawks only a one goal advantage. Sophomore Maddie Bressler was able to score in the last minute of play, solidifying yet another St. A’s victory in a 3-1 scoreline.

The Hawks faced the #1 team in all of division 2 field hockey, Long Island University, earlier this month. Both teams went into the match with strong records, LIU having a perfect 7-0 and St. A’s having an 8-1 mark. LIU came out strong and scored within the first 10 minutes of play and held the lead into the second half. That was until junior Erin Collins was able to score for the Hawks nothing the contest up  at 1-1. This forced the match into overtime. After a strong push by the Hawks early in overtime, LIU was able to net the game-winner giving them a 2-1 victory.

Coach King-Robitaille told The Crier, “We really try to rally around the concept of taking this season one game at a time and focusing on what we need to do to get better every day,” and the Hawk’s clearly had focus their next game against Bentley University.

After a tough loss against LIU, the Hawks were ready to win on Oct. 5 when they travelled to Waltham, Massachusetts to play Bentley. Saint A’s was able to shutout the Falcons with a score of 3-0. The goals came from freshman Hannah Friend and juniors  Mia Vecchione and Emma Kincaid, respectively. The Hawks scored early and with their strong defense, Bentley was never able to muster up any offense. Bentley only recorded two shots in the game.

Coach King-Robitaille says, “I’m just so proud of how determined and focused this team is this season. They are working incredibly hard, staying in the moment and more than anything they are all working together towards our common goal.”

Saint Anselm next faced off against Adelphi, another ranked NE-10 opponent on Oct. 8 and came out with a 2-1 victory. Neither team was able to score in the first half; however, the second half showcased the Hawks strong defense and impressive offense. Adelphi  began the scoring early in the second half, but Hannah Friend scored her team-leading seventh goal of the year for the Hawks shortly after to tie up the game. Jackie Guillemette was able to score the game-clincher in the 65th minute for the Hawks, in a 2-1 victory.

Four days later on Oct. 12, the Hawks stayed in Manchester in the friendly confines of Grappone Stadium where they played against an archival and number four nationally ranked Stonehill College. Stonehill was able to grab the early lead; however, in what seems to be a recurring pattern, the Hawks quickly answered back with a goal of their own from junior Erin Collins. Both teams left the field at half-time right where they started all square. St. A’s once again came out strong in the second half and senior captain Rose Mooney netted the clincher. Not long after, junior Jamie McNamara was able to score an insurance goal making the score 3-1. This is how the NE-10 battle concluded.

The team then played Saint Michael’s College on Wed. Oct. 19 and won 3-0, giving them their fifth consecutive win.

This story has been updated.