Hawks rally together on Senior Day to win 3-0 against Stonehill

Courtesy\HawksAthletics

Softball team and staff stand during the national anthem before their game.

Devon Sherman, Crier Staff

Senior day was a great success for the Hawks as they swept Stonehill on Saturday April 29. In first game, Saint Anselm received immense help from their starter senior Sam Hennequin who picked the 3-0 win and went the full seven innings, giving up zero runs, seven hits, a walk, and struck out six. She dominated on the mound and got out of many tight situations.

Saint Anselm was able to keep Stonehill at bay and worked well to leave no runners on base. Freshman Erin Thompson had one hit, a walk, and two runs scored for the Hawks. Junior Shannon McLaughlin earned one hit and an RBI.

Stonehill saw admirable work from starter Jennifer Mayette, who went six innings, giving up eight hits, three runs, two earned runs, and walked two. The Skyhawks got a lot of hits but could not do much with them.

During the second game, the Hawks saw a firm performance from freshman Morgan Perry who pitched seven innings, giving up six hits, walking zero, and struck out seven. Perry and Hennequin have performed well this season as the only pitchers on the team.Junior Amanda Bickford and freshman Erin Thompson each earned one hit and one RBI for the Hawks.

The Skyhawks saw a pretty good performance out of their starter, Cassandra Sequiri, who went six innings, giving up four hits, two runs, and struck out three. Stonehill was not able to keep runners off the bases and this led to their defeat.

The Hawks said goodbye to their only senior, Sam Hennequin. Hennequin has served as a key member of the team as the number one pitcher. She was a three-year starter, who had a career 2.52 ERA, winning 13, and striking out a commendable 134 batters. The Hawks will miss their senior and thank her for her years of leadership.

Saint Anselm heads to the NE-10 championship with an 18-15 record (16-8 in conf.). They will play either Le Moyne or New Haven in the first round. The game will take place at Merrimack College on Thursday April 4 at 2:30p.m.