Entertainment in the city: Manchester for college students

Savannah Huerta-Bailey, Crier Staff

Welcome to the college bubble, Saint A’s. It’s easy to feel isolated on the hilltop, but fear not; Manchester is full of places to go, and if you have your trusty college ID with you, there are all sorts of discounts to be found! If you’re feeling like a quick stop or a full day’s trip, Manchester has something for you. Here are some ideas from which to get started and adventure on!

Have you ever wondered about the history of the brick millyard that triumphs over the Manchester cityscape? Once the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company, these buildings are now home to many businesses, and nestled in Mill no. 3 is the Millyard Museum.

Our library holds free passes to the Millyard Museum, the Museum of New Hampshire History, Historic New England, and many more. Go to the Geisel Library’s website for a full list of museums and attractions.

Also housed in the millyard is Vertical Dreams, home of New Hampshire’s tallest wall to top roping (as well as bouldering, routes for all levels and lead climbing), just 2.5 miles from campus. Thursday night from 5-10 is college night, with a valid college ID passes are just $8!

Are you a bowler? Only a half of a mile down the hill is King Bowling Lanes. Public bowling is offered every day, and glow bowling is every Saturday night from 5-11PM!

If that isn’t enough for you, Verizon Wireless Arena, three miles away, is home of the Monarchs, Manchester’s very own hockey team. Opening weekend begins on October 24th against the Portland Pirates, with tickets as low as $20! Various concerts are also held at Verizon, including Eric Church, Demi Lovato, Christina Perri and MKTO!

Are you more of an art-lover? Check out the Currier Museum of Art and see American and European art ranging from the Renaissance to current day. The Currier Museum of Art is three miles away from our beloved hilltop.

Manchester city buses stop every hour on the hour next to the Dana Center to pick up and drop off any college kids who want to take a trip but don’t have a car. The bus schedule and destinations can be easily googled. If Manchester isn’t big enough for you and you don’t have a car, it’s okay! Buses from Manchester to Boston on the Boston Express are just $15.

What if you’re a skier or a snowboarding kind of guy? There are fifteen amazing ski resorts in New Hampshire. FIFTEEN. Loon, with a vertical drop of 2,100 ft. and 12 lifts, is just an hour and a half away. Visit skinh.com for more details on mountains and pricing (and college discounts!).

So, stop the cabin fever in it’s tracks and get out there! Love Manchvegas and Manchvegas will love you back!