New Year means New Year resolutions, but do they work?

Steven Stanko, Culture Writer

3, 2, 1… It’s a New Year. The ball has dropped, the confetti has settled, and all you are really left with is the decision of whether or not to keep to your resolutions. New Year’s Eve is a time of change. The old year dies, and simultaneously brings another to life. A New Year; 365 unwritten days. It’s an exciting thought and most are all too optimistic about it.

“Resolutions” as they are commonly called are the new guidelines for the year. Almost everyone makes them, but who really keeps them? Will you actually go to the gym, eat healthier, and get more sleep? Will you drink less? Or maybe more? Resolutions are seemingly limitless, but they come down to a simple yes or no.

According to Huffington Post, some resolutions are in fact better than others. On the list of “10 New Years Resolutions that could actually change your life” you can find the basics of getting more sleep, eating healthier foods, and exercising more. However, there are also some uncommon ones, such as blocking out the annoying in-laws and reducing time wasted on keeping the house clean. So are resolutions meant to change your life? Not always. Many people focus on the little things like smiling, flossing, or even keeping a diary.

Here at Saint A’s there is no shortage of resolutions. The most common responses have been studying more, getting more sleep, and simply finding time to relax. Sophomore Jenny Fernandez says, “This year I want to focus on keeping my New Years Resolutions. I really want to continue saving my money for my study abroad in London. Also, I plan on eating healthier, staying organized, and going to the gym!” Sophomores Christina and Maria Ieradi also plan on eating healthier snacks, keeping their grades up, and working out several times a week.

It’s easy to make New Years Resolutions, but the hard part is sticking to them. Researchers estimate that 40% of Americans make resolution, but only 8% actually achieve them (Forbes). Many factors play into this such as the tangibility of the resolution and length of time that it will take to complete.

The large, daunting resolutions are the hardest to even start, and the small, vague ones are not much better. Instead of telling yourself to simply eat healthier, set some guidelines such as ice cream only once a week and salad every day. Psychology has proven that a more specific, structured resolution will be easier to follow and in turn yield a better success rate.

Why is it so extremely hard to stick to a New Year’s Resolution though? According to writer Jonah Lehrer we should literally, “blame it on the brain.”

Our will power, the ability to do what we want, comes mainly from the prefrontal cortex. This part of the brain however, is constantly busy because it is “in charge of keeping us focused, handling short-term memory and solving abstract problems” (The Wall Street Journal). So while it is easy to make a resolution on New Years day, the stressors of everyday life quickly help to overload our brain, weakening our will power and destroying our precious resolution.

While difficult, resolutions are not impossible to achieve. If you can make sure to keep a direct, reasonable resolution, then achieving it should not be nearly as exhausting as it seems. It is key to stay focused and look at the situation one day at a time. Conquer the little voice inside your head and most importantly fight through the resistance that is keeping you from living the life you want to live.