Meelia Center celebrates Saint Valentine’s Day with special needs dance

Steven Stanko, Crier Staff

Most people think Valentine’s Day is only about couples, chocolates, teddy bears and of course, flowers. At Saint A’s, however, the day of love is treated as a community holiday. It is a day when people come together spreading joy, and dancing to the latest infectious pop songs. In a show of true neighborly care and involvement, every year the Meelia Center hosts their Special Need’s Valentine’s Day Dance. The dance gives those with special needs a safe, fun environment to let loose and make new friends. Plenty of students and locals from the area show up too, and it culminates into a lovely time.

On February 14, the Upper Cushing Center was decorated with balloons, streamers, and hearts in every shade of red. Student run clubs such as the Psychology Club, the Dance Club, and Alphi Phi Omega showed up to lead guests through activities and crafts including Love Bug Hats, Bean Bag Toss, Valentine’s Cards, Heart Wreaths, and face painting. The DJ sets up in the corner, ready to energize the crowd with hit songs. Once the dance starts, students, faculty, and guests fill Cushing to max capacity and the fun begins.

To many of the guests, this is one of the most exciting events of the year. Loud music, good people, and plenty of sugar keep energy levels high and fun nonstop. When asked about the dance one of the guests said, “I mostly like the crafts and the dancing is pretty cool. I get to socialize with people and see friends and hang out.”

The Valentine’s Day Dance helps show what students at Saint A’s are all about. When asked about the dance, Nick Marino (’16) Volunteer for Alpha Phi Omega

said, “My sister is special needs and I know how important it is to have an event where people can treat them as equals. I love helping them have a fun time. I’m happy to be a part of it and help the Meelia Center bring them a very good Valentine’s Day.” The students helping with the dance are volunteers and simply do it for fun. Another volunteer Thomas Catyb (’18) from Alpha Phi Omega said about the dance, “I think it’s a great event. It’s a chance for people to come together and just have fun. I think that the dancing is the best. It’s nice for them to have this experience with one another”. The Valentine’s Day Dance is the perfect way to spread love and kindness on Valentine’s Day. Nothing beats having fun and making someone else’s day great.

It is clear that people love the Valentine’s Day Dance and the tradition is not ending anytime soon. So, if you are in danger of being alone in your dorm room next Valentine’s Day, then mark your calendar and make sure to attend the dance. Even if you have a boyfriend or girlfriend, exchange the flowers, finish the chocolates and make sure you come for a great time with even better people.