Players set to perform musical ‘Millie’

Rosemary Lausier, Culture Editor

As part of their 66th season, the Anselmian Abbey players will be performing “Thoroughly Modern Millie”. The musical opened on Broadway thirteen years ago and won six Tony’s including Best Musical. The opening is this Friday, March 20th at 7:30 p.m. The other performances will be March 21, 27, and 28th at 7:30 p.m. and March 22nd at 2 p.m.

“Thoroughly Modern Millie” is based on the film by George Roy Hill. It is about a girl named Millie Dillmount who decides to move from Kansas to New York City in 1922 in search for a new life. She has a plan to find a job as a secretary for a wealthy business man and marry him.

However, many problems ensue. The owner of the hotel that Millie is staying at kidnaps her and sells her to the Far East. Furthermore, her wealthy boss is slow in proposing marriage and the man that she eventually falls in love with is supposedly extremely poor. We will have to come to the play and find out the rest of the story.

Twenty-nine students are performing in the musical with sixteen other students involved in the production. Psychology major Steph Conti (’18) and Politics major Garrett Mayer (’18) will be playing the lead roles of Millie Dillmount and Jimmy Smith respectively. Emily McDonald is directing the show while St. A’s alumna Nikki Aubert Murrey (’06) choreographed the dances.

Tickets for the show are $14 for adults and $12 for seniors, children, and New Hampshire students. This fun musical highlights the Abbey’s endless weeks of hard work and will prove to be an enjoyable performance for all who attend.