History Society welcomes all students

Jessica Vaillancourt, Crier Staff

The History Society, an extension of Saint Anselm College’s History Department, offers fun and engaging activities not only to History majors, but to any student interested in history.  Since enrollment in the History Department has decreased in the last few years, the club’s central mission is to increase general interest in the discipline and offer a forum for students already engaged in history.

President of the History Society, Aidan Denehy ’18, reflects on the joy of learning about history, stating “History is accessible and interesting, fun and exciting, and something students should take interest in outside of the classroom.”

Over the past two years, the aims and activities of the History Society have evolved steadily from lecture and discussion based meetings to more engaging, less structurally academic events.  These events reflect a love for knowledge of history and are further oriented toward all members of the college community looking to have fun learning about history.

The club hosts historical games such as “Who Am I?”, and trivia competitions, the winners of which have been awarded prizes like Chipotle gift cards. The History Society also holds movie nights throughout the year, always with free pizza and featuring action-packed films like Saving Private Ryan and National Treasure.

The History Society also takes club members on trips to exciting and beautiful historical sites in the region throughout the school year. Previous trips have included America’s Stonehenge, the Museum of Fine Arts, and viewings of World War II reenactments.

The goal for the 2016-2017 academic year is to take various trips to places such as Strawbery Banke, Lexington and Concord, Battleship Cove, and more. Any student can become a member and have a wonderful campus experience.

Check your email for History Society updates. If interested contact the president of the club, Aidan Denehy, at [email protected] to get involved.