College community to host events for ‘Enough is Enough’ week

Facebook/Saint Anselm Core Council

Carolyn King, Pat Hollister ‘17, Beth Gabert ‘17, and Olive Capone ‘18 pose for the “NO H8” Campaign.

Johanna Materazzo, Crier Staff

Saint Anselm College is offering a series of events, discussions, films, and conversations as part of the national “Enough is Enough” campaign. This campaign, started in 2007 in response to the Virginia Tech shootings, is meant to draw attention to the violence that occurs around us and promote peace. Our campus will be celebrating this campaign in the month of November by having various groups sponsor events.

The Core Council will be sponsoring a NoH8 campaign, a two-hour event with the goal to stand against bullying and discrimination. This is achieved by spreading the message of love for and acceptance of everyone. This event, which will be held on Thursday, Nov. 3 in Davison Hall, urges students to take photos, hashtag them #AnselmianLove, and post them to social media. The goal of this is to let students know that they are not alone, but supported by fellow classmates and friends.

The Core Council will also sponsor an event referred to as talk-back sessions. They will collaborate with the cast of The Laramie Project: Ten Years Later after the opening night on Nov. 3. The session will last approximately fifteen to thirty minutes and will have the cast and crew of the production as well as a handful of others on stage facilitating conversation and answering questions from the audience.

As always, the Wednesday night student mass will take place on Nov. 9 at 9 p.m., but what is different about this mass is that it will be dedicated to those who have felt discriminated against, bullied, or shown verbal or physical violence.

Campus Ministry will be co-sponsoring an event with the Multicultural Center: a human-to-human conversation geared towards learning to build bridges of compassion instead of walls of division. This will be a dialogue to share experiences that people have gone through in which they may have felt bullied or victimized in some way. The goal of this conversation is to help people make the connection that although they may have different identities; some of the feelings we have are the same. We should not let these differences divide us, but rather let them motivate us to understand differing experiences.

The "Enough is Enough" logo.
Facebook\Saint Anselm Core Council
The “Enough is Enough” logo.

Students will discuss the book I am Malala by Malala Yousafzai and Christina Lamb in Geisel Library. This event will be co-sponsored by Geisel Library and the Writing Center and will take place on both Wednesday, Nov. 9 and Thursday, Nov. 10. The book exemplifies the violence and oppression that has been experienced in cultures and countries other than ours. The goal of this discussion is to bring to light that violence and oppression takes place all over the world, including in our own Saint Anselm community.

There will be a showing of the film “Audrie and Daisy” (2016) hosted by Gender Studies and Assault and Violence Education and Reporting Team (AVERT). This film explores the role of social media in sexual assault. It follows two teenage girls in America and their stories, highlighting the issues of sexual assault, online harassment, and suicide.

The object of “Enough is Enough” week is to spread awareness about the need for peace everywhere. We must first promote peace in our communities and spread it throughout the world.