Anselmians past and present discuss the importance of ‘The Laramie Project’

Courtesy\Cory True '09

Students perform in the Anselmian Abbey Players original production of The Laramie Project.

Becca Hurd, Crier Staff

Have you heard of Matthew Shepard? If you haven’t, the Anselmian Abbey Players are getting ready to change that. Matthew Shepard was a young man from Laramie, WY who was brutally beaten and left to die in 1998 in a hate crime spurred by homophobia.

The Abbey Players told his story in 2012 as written by Moisés Kaufman  and other members of the Tectonic Theatre Project, and this year they prepare to take us back in their production of The Laramie Project: Ten Years Later. The sequel takes audiences back to the small town of Laramie to examine how the town has changed since the attack. In preparation for the show, the Core Council hosted a movie screening of The Laramie Project on Oct. 26.

When the Abbey Players performed The Laramie Project, directed by Dr. Landis Magnuson, it shifted the campus climate considerably and was a huge success. Alumnus Evan Brown ’15 reflects on the show: “It was the most powerful experience I have had in theatre. After the final curtain, there was a clear change in the attitude and mindset of the Saint Anselm College campus, it was palpable, and it changed my view of the world drastically.”

Alumnus Zachary Camenker ’16 remembers it similarly, saying, “Few roles have ever left me with so much to think about in an influential way.” He also has a great love for the text itself, calling it an “unbelievably powerful piece.”

Ten Years Later appears to have made an equally strong impression with this year’s cast, including Julia Nosel. Julia said “The entire show is filled with raw emotions that affect everyone involved, actors and audience alike. I have never been so challenged, and yet so incredibly blessed, to be in a show.”

She went on to address the important issue of homophobia that is central to the show. “The issues of homophobia, hate crimes, and collective denial that are brought up in Ten Years Later are problems that we still struggle with today as individuals, as communities, as a nation, and even as a world. This show has brought the story of Matthew Shepard across the country and has helped influence positive change within communities and within individuals.”

Thursday’s showing of The Laramie Project was followed by a discussion of the topics of the film, including the continued relevance of the story, the differences between hate crimes and other types, and the effectiveness of the movie itself.

Sophomore Haley Lyons, member of Core Council, said, “It was good to see so many people were interested … but even more than that, the dialogue held afterward opened up the floor to discuss and acknowledge struggles in our society that have sometimes been silenced in the past and are still happening today.” She continued, “Hopefully, with continued events like this on campus, people will open their minds and hearts to those that are different.”

The Anselmian Abbey Players will perform the play on Nov. 3, 4, and 5 at the Dana Center.