Choir sings to packed house at DecemberSong

Crier\Tim Mannila

Crowds gather to hear DecemberSong performance in the Saint Anselm Abbey.

Emily Maier, Crier Staff

The holiday season is an exciting yet stressful period of time for many people. Though winter break looms on the horizon, the hassle of shopping for presents and studying for finals has left most students in disarray. In the midst of all this turmoil came DecemberSong, the eighteenth annual Advent concert performed by the Saint Anselm Choir.

The celebration was held on Dec. 3 at 7:30 p.m. in a packed Abbey Church. The concert was meant to help participants unwind from the strain of the holiday season. Choir Director Eric Bermani commented, “My hope was that the community – staff, students, faculty, alumni, and visitors – all left feeling refreshed, renewed, and hopeful.” It was the concert’s aim to give the community a sense of tranquility and peace of mind during an otherwise hectic time.

As to the content of DecemberSong, Bermani stated, “The music consists of classic Advent and Christmas choral anthems, interspersed with some carols intended for everyone to sing.” After all, it would not be Christmas without a host of classic songs to which everyone can sing along.

Peter Fidrych, a senior bass singer of the Saint Anselm Choir, said, “My parents always tell me that DecemberSong is the perfect opportunity to take a break from the craziness of December to mentally prepare yourself for Christmas.”

The concert is one of the first activities meant to kick off the Advent season, which began on Nov. 27. The term “Advent” refers to the coming or second coming of Jesus Christ.

Fidrych put it, “I really hope that students and members of the community are able to find some peace during this crazy time of the year, and that they can take a step back from the stresses of schoolwork and shopping and renew their spirits, no matter what their faith is.” This loving, inclusive spirit embodies just what the holiday season – and Saint A’s – is all about.

Many people were able to set aside the search for the perfect Secret Santa gift or studying for finals in order to attend DecemberSong. This free and open-to-the-public celebration has become a tradition at Saint Anselm, so if you did happen to miss out on the festivities this year, keep an eye out for the concert in years to come.