POSTPONED: Anselmians to ‘Stand in Solidarity’ with refugees

Flickr\Babak Shahbazpour

The vigil has been postponed due to inclement weather.

Juliann Guerra, Crier Staff

** PLEASE NOTE THAT THE VIGIL HAS BEEN POSTPONED DUE TO THE SNOW DAY

After President Donald J. Trump’s executive order declared on Jan. 27, the Muslim Student Association, the Multicultural Center, and the Meelia Center will hold a vigil to “Stand in Solidarity” with Muslim refugees on campus and across the United States. The vigil will take place Thursday, Feb. 9 at 4:30 p.m. on the Alumni Quad to raise awareness of the effects of the Trump’s Muslim ban that stops people from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the United States for the next 90 days.

Wes Vanderburgh ’19 hopes that the vigil will “[unite] the Saint Anselm community to join in solidarity with those affected by” the ban.

Emily Craig ’19 is looking forward to attending the vigil. Craig says, “As someone who is generally quiet about their political opinions, I wholeheartedly disagree with the recent Muslim ban put into place in our country. I plan on attending this vigil to stand with my peers in support of those affected by the ban and to reflect on the consequences that have risen and will arise as a result of this ignorance.”

Craig continues, “I am so thankful and glad that the Muslim Student Association and others affiliated with the vigil have the opportunity to have their voice heard on our campus. I hope this event will help bring our community together in peace and solidarity.”

There will be multiple speakers who will discuss the ban from the religious, legal, and personal perspectives at the event. “We intend for the event to be peaceful and reflective, and we believe our campus is receptive to such an initiative,” said Vanderburgh.

This article has been updated.