Saint Anselm Spotlight: Terry Newcomb puts the smile in C-Shop

Courtesy/Terry Newcomb

A post from Terry Newcomb’s Instagram showing her excitement for the Red Sox

James Tweneh, Crier Staff

If you have ever been to the Coffee Shop on a Friday or Saturday night, you may have seen Terry Newcomb running the kitchen, restocking utensils or condiments, and making sure everything is running smoothly. Newcomb is probably making sure you received the correct order of your C-Shop favorite or talking to students about classes, life, or the academic year. In fact, you might have even seen Newcomb’s famous Halloween or Christmas decorations once you walk through the front doors of C-Shop. Newcomb is always heard talking with a vivacious voice and always has a kind heart for coworkers and for the students and customers passing through C-Shop everyday. Here is what Newcomb had to say about working at C-Shop and what the Saint A’s community means to her.

Q: What is your role at C-Shop?

A: “I am the assistant manager here at night. Tony [Bravo] runs the day shift. I started as a cashier back in the day, and then I took over the night shift ten years ago.”

Q: How long have you been at C-Shop? And what has your experience been like at St. A’s?

A: I have been here for 21 years now. And, I love it. It is a beautiful place to work and everybody is so welcoming and it’s just one big family here. The minute I came in here, I felt loved. You just feel the love. Everyone is so good to one another and respectful. And honestly, it felt like home.”

Q: What is your personal motto? 

A: “Just don’t give up.”

Q: What do you do outside of work at C-Shop?

A: “ I spend a lot of time with my family and I love to run.”

Q: What is your favorite season?

A: “Fall. I love this time of year. I love the leaves and the changing weather and I like to go on hikes with my dog. And just the beauty of it.”

Q: How did COVID impact C-shop last year?

A: “It was difficult, but in a way, it brought everyone closer together. You appreciate people more. Like when we got the tables and sound system back, it was very emotional. It just felt like we were going through something together.”

Q: Has there been any struggles with the staffing shortages?

A: “Yes, because I haven’t [ever] seen it so shorthanded. We have been working a lot of hours. We are doing the best we can and the students are so understanding. I felt so bad when I had to close on Sundays because Tony and I haven’t had a day off in months, but I didn’t want to let anyone down. We have been relying on students a lot more than we did in the past because they are here to work. The people that I do have that came back, I am very blessed. And, in fact, two people who have full-time jobs came back to help me out every couple of nights, so I am beyond blessed.”

Q: What motivates you to come to work every single day?

A: “The students.  It feels like family, it really does. The freshmen come in, you get to know every one of them, and you just develop a friendship with them. And they are very caring. I love the students and I just feel like I want to adopt them all. After four years, I’m so sad to see them go. And, I know they are going to better places in their lives, but it’s just great to be a part of their development and to see them grow from the little freshman that they were to seniors taking on the world. And then they come back and you see them with their families and children. It’s a great sight to see.”

Q: How have your relationships with students, faculty, and staff impacted your life?

A: “It just makes me feel more complete and it feels like I am making a difference in people’s lives. I just want to put a smile on their face, and just make people’s days happier. It’s good to have a job that you love. It’s not easy. Things are different every day. The people make the difference and it makes me want to come back.”