The student news site of Saint Anselm College

The Saint Anselm Crier

The Saint Anselm Crier

The Saint Anselm Crier

Grappone Institute puts ‘pretty darn big stake in the ground’

Courtest/Saint Anselm College
Students gather outside of the new seminar room inside the Humanities Institute.

After five years of planning and a year of construction, the Gregory Grappone Humanities Institute has officially opened its doors in its new permanent home. Now holding classes, Come Friday Forums, concerts, and the annual Sonnet reading festival on Shakespeare’s birthday, the Humanities Institute is set to make a lasting impact on the college community for many years to come.

The process of building the Humanities Institute has been a long process according to founder and director of the Institute, Gary Bouchard, “It took many people working so hard for several years to raise the funds and renovate this building, and the final months were a real push,” stated Bouchard. 

The Humanities Institute offers an array of displays that encompass the humanities and the history of the college. According to Bouchard, “the gems are all on display. The original models for the statues on campus, the 100 year old signed copy of Robert Frost’s New Hampshire, the old coal chute converted to a terraced garden, the sunburst bench around the old smoke stack, and of course the many names of living and deceased Anselmians that populate the sonnet stage.”

In addition to the many displays, everything in the Institute is built at a 5% angle, meaning that nothing is completely straight. 

At the ribbon cutting ceremony in July, President Favazza spoke of the Institute as “a pretty darn big stake in the ground to our fundamental commitment to the humanities.” 

Bouchard agreed about the importance of the building. In remarks at the dedication of the Institute in July, Bouchard spoke about what the institute now does for the college. “This is a building that, for most of its history, most people have been walking around to get to somewhere else. Today, it becomes a destination. What you will see when you walk in the front doors is that, from the efficiency and creativity of the design, to the many special touches, this Institute is an inspiring lyrical blend of its 110-year utilitarian history and a contemporary call to contemplative learning.”

Overall, the opening of the Institute has been well received by students and faculty of the College For seniors like James Maloney, the opening of the Institute has been a long time coming. “It’s exciting to see the culmination of so much work.” 

Senior Jacob Akey agreed. He believes that one of the noteworthy additions to the Institute is, “the repurposed coal chute, which has been transformed into the Ken Burns Terrace Garden.” 

Gary Bouchard commented, “Student reactions have been really positive. They’ve been very surprised at the interior beauty, the light from all the windows, and the way this part of campus has just opened up.”

Moving forward, the Humanities Institute is excited to host many events including their signature Come Friday Forum from 12:30-1:20 every Friday of the semester. Plans are also being put together for concerts on the sonnet stage throughout the fall alongside other events. 

If students are interested in exploring the Humanities Institute, Bouchard encourages all to come in. “Come to a Come Friday Forum or other event or just come hang out. As I said in my opening remarks: ‘Whenever you find yourself in this building, find yourself in this building.’”

Bronze castings of the famous statues by Sylvia Nicolas connect the Humanities Insti-
tute to Saint Anselm (left) and Saint Benedict (right). (Courtesy/Kathryn Williams)