The student news site of Saint Anselm College

The Saint Anselm Crier

The Saint Anselm Crier

The Saint Anselm Crier

Women in Business club shapes future of female leaders

Nestled within the Hilltop, a dynamic force is shaping the future of female leaders: The Women in Business club. This organization has become an integral part of the campus community, providing a platform for female students to excel and lead in the world of business and other historically male-dominated industries. Through orchestrating presentations and building community, the club’s mission of inspiring and empowering women is only starting to be fulfilled and has already inspired many.  

Formally instituted last year, the Women in Business club has been in development since 2021 and was named 2022-23 Club of the Year. Founders Kim Tran ‘23 and Lauren O’Reilly ‘23 gathered a group of forty young women on the Hilltop and developed the club into a source of inspiration and opportunity on campus, hosting the popular “Women of Influence” series alongside the Center for Ethics in Society last year. The series provided a roundtable discussion led by successful professionals on entering the business sector, a networking session to promote mentorship, and a standing-room-only presentation by a local CEO on becoming a successful entrepreneur.  

Although the club’s foundresses graduated last year, the club is far from shuttering. Several more Women of Influence sessions are in the works for this year and a networking event is also being planned. Beyond the success of events lies the core community that Women in Business is attempting to build under the new leadership of President Katelyn Clark ’24. Relationship is the very essence of Women in Business, as success in any field is rooted in the support of coworkers. In a world where competition among women is often used as entertainment, the Women in Business club’s mission is an important reminder that women have the power to build one another up instead of tearing each other down. 

One Ambassador of the Year, Allyson McMahon ’25, reflected on the club’s mission, stating, ”The Women in Business club offers students a space to grow professionally. Members have the opportunity to explore career paths and opportunities through the club’s varied events. We welcome guests from local business owners and alumni from a wide variety of fields and companies to enjoy open and honest conversations. The organization is led by a strong and driven group of young women, who want nothing but success, both personally and professionally, for the club’s members. The Women in Business club has formed a strong community with its members, as well as a large network of students and professionals.”  

The club achieves their supportive and uplifting community by offering a diverse range of activities and programs tailored to the needs and interests of its members. Meetings foster a space for engaging discussions, where students can explore various facets of the business world, from entrepreneurship and finance to marketing and leadership. Guest speakers, often women who have found success in the business world, share their stories and insights, inspiring the next generation of female leaders. Samson Spiniello ‘25, also an Ambassador of the Year, offered comment on the Women in Business club’s community and activities, saying, “Women in Business is a club that pushes for the advancement of women in the business industry. It’s also a club where anyone with the entrepreneurial mindset can surround themselves with other like-minded people that wish to thrive in a business environment. We also believe in our Anselmian values which is why it is important that our club supports other female-business owners which the club does by hosting events.” 

As Saint Anselm College continues to shape the next generation of leaders, the Women in Business Club stands as a shining example of empowerment, resilience, and ambition. Their influence surely shall continue to grow this year, and countless more young women will be inspired to break down barriers, shatter glass ceilings, and redefine success in the business world. Through education, support, and mentorship, the Women in Business Club at Saint Anselm College is changing lives and is sure to leave a legacy of Anselmian alumnae whose success is a testament to the power of community and inspiration in the development of young leaders. 

Courtesy/@sac.wib