Whodunnit? Anselmian Abbey Players bring board game to life

Courtesy/ @theabbeyplayers
Casey Roberge ‘24, Jamie Walsh ‘24, Hope Jensen ‘25 pose for CLUE promo.

This fall, the Anselmian Abbey Players present CLUE. Based on the movie inspired by the beloved board game Clue, this play is a murder mystery that will perplex and intrigue audience members. Jesse Saywell, the new director of the Players this year has made a considerable effort to bring the professionalism of the theater industry of Los Angeles to Saint Anselm College. 

Saywell says, “As the new director, my goals are twofold: preserve the traditions that have defined the Abbey Players for 75 years, while also working to take the quality of productions to the next level. Having worked in the theater industry for my entire adult life, I try to set a standard of professionalism that I expect the students to adhere to. With that being said, I worked to ensure that the process of creating theater is fun. In my opinion, theaters in academia only succeeds if the artists are enjoying the creative process.”  

His efforts have not gone unnoticed by the cast and crew bringing the production to life. Jordan Tavares, student Director of Lights and Sound, who plays Professor Plum, says, “This cast and crew seems so much closer than in years past. This is the most fun I have had with a show in a long time, and a big part of that is because of the atmosphere this cast and Jesse have created. It has already become a highlight of the semester for me.”

The rehearsal process, staging, and set design of CLUE has presented some unique challenges. Saywell says, “The scenic elements are going to be on a level that the Saint Anselm community has not seen recently. Scenic Designer Nick Caisse, direct from Hollywood, has designed a brilliant and elaborate set that is going to ‘wow’ audiences and make them feel like they’re really in ‘Boddy Manor’ on a dark, stormy evening.”

Hope Jensen, student Director of Public Relations, who plays Mrs. Peacock, said, “The tech process for any show is always something that is difficult, and this show is no different due to so many moving pieces. However, we have a great crew and a great plan, so I have the utmost faith in this being a success.”

Katie Langille, Director of Sets and Assistant Stage Manager, says, “I’ve been able to learn so much in an environment filled with some of the coolest people. I may be biased, but this is going to be something special. The creativity is off the charts, and the setting only enhances the comedic charm of the show.” 

New and exciting amounts of intensity and energy have been present during the rehearsal process. Saywell says, “This process has been an absolute blast! I’m so inspired by how the actors have embraced the absurdity of everything I’ve asked them to do, and I’m having so much fun watching them become these iconic characters.” 

Saywell has helped people understand the show on a deeper level. Senior Jackson Hyam, who plays Mr. Boddy, says, “This year feels a lot more organized and concrete, and everyone just seems like they’re having a blast the whole time… It’s felt like a very streamlined process!”

As the director, Saywell has many plans for the future. “There are so many exciting things in the pipeline for the Abbey Players, both this year and beyond,” he said. “The most important thing for any student to know is that regardless of your experience in theater, there is a home for you in the Abbey Players if you want one. It is a community of acceptance that welcomes anyone who wishes to be a part of the work we’re creating.”

Saywell says, “CLUE is an insanely fun experience for the audience. As a spectator, you’re constantly trying to predict what comes next and ‘whodunit?’ – but in the process you continue to be surprised by the hilarious script and the absurd characters.”

CLUE will be performed in Koonz Theater on Nov. 10th and 11th at 7:30 and Nov 12th at 2:00pm. All are welcome to attend and try to solve the mystery!

CLUE poster designed by stage man-
ager Julia Bard ‘25. (Courtesy/Anselmian Abbey Players )