The student news site of Saint Anselm College

The Saint Anselm Crier

The Saint Anselm Crier

The Saint Anselm Crier

‘Belief and Ballots’ podcast explores overlap of faith, politics

Courtesy/Saint Anselm College
Kathryn Williams ‘24 interviews Prof. Josephson (Politics) for Beliefs and Ballots.

On Jan 10, 2024, Saint Anselm premiered the first episode of the new podcast “Belief and Ballots: An American Podcast on Faith and the Public Sphere.” The Campus Ministry presents this new project, which the Theology and Politics departments cosponsor. Episodes explore connections between faith and political engagement through interviews and discussions with people of various faith traditions. 

At Saint Anselm College, part of the student experience is becoming an informed individual through academics and Anselmian traditions. Antony Abi Awad, Campus Minister, was the person to come up with the idea for the podcast. Awad says that the Catholic and Benedictine values of Saint Anselm are what drive motivation to become active in their communities. Being politically involved in one’s community is no exception. 

Professor Ward Holder, from the Politics and Theology departments, was involved in developing the podcast. He says, “One can say one is not political, but that never actually works – politics will impact the schools, the tax code, and even whether there is a street light at a dangerous intersection. Anselmians should be prepared to take important roles in all of their communities.”

Awad and Holder are excited to be able to work on putting this podcast together. Holder says that when Awad brought up the idea, he “immediately became an enthusiastic partner.” According to Awad, Holder is a valuable resource in the process. He says that Holder “brings a wealth of personal experience and a unique perspective to [their] discussions. His expertise strengthens [their] exploration of the intricate relationship between faith and politics. It adds depth to [their] conversations and episodes.”

This podcast is based on ideas distinctly Anselmian because of the values and resources here on campus. Awad says, “Having the New Hampshire Institute of Politics on campus a beating heart of the political life in New Hampshire and the Nation offers a unique opportunity to every Anselmian to get a first hand experience of the ever evolving political landscape especially on a presidential election year. This unique opportunity makes Saint Anselm the perfect incubator for [the Belief and Ballots] podcast.”

Senior Kathryn Williams hosts the Belief and Ballots podcast. She said of her experiences, “As a student host, it has been great to get their input on questions to ask. They are both instrumental in selecting guests for each episode so I am very appreciative of the opportunity to work with them and learn from the variety of guests they select.”

Students and community members of Saint Anselm join together to become active learners, and this podcast is a culmination of what Saint Anselm students can go on to see in the post-college world. Faith traditions bring people together; however, politics can sometimes be divisive. This is something that Awad is acutely aware of. He stated, “With the growing gap between religious affiliation and political involvement and the increasing polarization of our political landscape, we sought to create a platform for thoughtful and respectful dialogue that could help bridge these divides. Our ultimate objective is to equip our listeners with valuable insights into the intersection of faith and politics, inspiring them to become more active participants in their communities. By exploring the diverse perspectives that different faith traditions bring to the table, we hope to foster a more inclusive and equitable society.”

This podcast aims to learn and gain involvement in the public sphere using faith and political beliefs. Professor Holder says, “We hope that listeners would grow in their consideration of how religious belief and politics go together, rather than arguing that they are separate silos in a person’s life that have nothing to do with each other. And since they influence each other, it’s incumbent upon us to think through what that relationship should be.”

The Belief and Ballots podcast can be found on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and YouTube. Feedback can be directed to [email protected].