Center for Ethics in Society hosts high schools for civic dialogue

Courtesy/@saintanselm_CES
The Center for Ethics in society invites civic reflection among high schoolers through annual Ethics Bowl

Political engagement is integral to Saint Anselm College’s identity. In line with the Benedictine vow of conversatio, or seeking the good life, civic reflection plays a crucial part in the pursuit of what is good. An important aspect of civic engagement is education and engagement of youth. The Center for Ethics inSociety seeks to do its part in civics education through the High School Ethics Circle program. The program encourages lively collaborative discourse among high school students as they discover the nuances of ethical debates. 

The program consists of four pillars – biweekly discussions, Ethics Labs, the Ethics Bowl, and Kickoff/Capstone events –  and collaborates with 17 schools throughout New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and New York. Each activity targets specific aspects of ethical development, along with the formation of skills like collaboration and effective communication. Biweekly discussions are held at the local level, where students meet in groups to discuss small- and large-scale ethical issues, ranging from changes in their communities to debates in the wider world. Ethics Labs offer students the opportunity to learn from experts, bringing together students, professors, and local leaders to learn from one another through Ethics lectures and in-depth expert-led panels and discussions on specific issues.

The participants’ hard work is exercised through the annual Goodchild Regional Ethics Bowl, hosted on campus each year. The event is a competition, similar to a debate, in which teams from competing high schools reflect upon varying perspectives of contemporary ethical issues. Hannah Beaudry, the Assistant Director of Programming and Student Engagement for the Center of Ethics in Society, reflected on the program’s role as an impetus of growth, stating, “Some students have participated for three or four years in a row, and their growth is noticeable. They are more articulate and thoughtful as they discuss complex ethical case studies with their peers. It is very cool to see!” 

The last of the High School Ethics Circle’s components are Kickoff and Capstone events, which marry the program’s signature ethical discussions and luncheons with Saint Anselm’s unique college identity, introducing participants to some aspect of campus life each time. These aspects include the Benedictines and monastic life or the Humanities Institute. The program has bolstered the College’s influence and reputation, as Beaudry announced, “We [at the Center] are happy to have at least one student from the program attending Saint Anselm College in the fall as a nursing major.”

Though, to many Anselmians, high school days seem to be a long-ago memory, the engagement of young people on campus is alive and well. Eager up-and-coming leaders, committed to seeking the good life, offer hope for the future of our communities and our world.