A case for early Christmas celebration

Kathryn Williams, Editor in Chief

Christmas trees and wreaths are up around campus, the annual gingerbread house competition is on the horizon, and students are preparing to battle for cheesecakes at Davison. These are a few clear signs that the Holidays have arrived at the Hilltop. 

It really isn’t a surprise considering how many on campus boast about Saint A’s having the most collegiate Christmas spirit. Beyond our campus, I’ve seen a noticeable increase in the amount of people decorating early for this season. Stores are stocked full of holiday displays. My TikTok ‘For You Page’ is flooded with gift guides and decorating videos. Mariah Carey and Michael Bublé are about to reach their peak season. And I’m not mad about it. I’ll happily bop along to Christmas music while I drink an overpriced holiday latte. 

Not everyone shares this sentiment. I have heard plenty of people argue against decorating and playing holiday music this early in the season. People stand firm in the fact that it is not right to begin preparing for Christmas before Thanksgiving has even happened. One point I’ve heard is that people enjoy Thanksgiving and don’t want it to be overshadowed. My response, I don’t think twinkle lights are the biggest problems facing the turkeys this month.

I see both sides of the argument here. Santa is traditionally the last float of the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, symbolizing the commencement of the Christmas season. However, I also think that Santa’s presence in the parade indicates that he and Tom the Turkey are friends and amicably share this time of year. 

The holiday season includes a variety of celebrations, from Thanksgiving to Hanukkah to Christmas and more. Putting up a tree or having the urge to watch the Polar Express with a cup of hot chocolate does not make someone anti-Turkey Day. In my opinion, this sort of early holiday expression is just one way that people choose to bring joy into their lives. 

Let’s face it, we live in a world that is consistently lacking joy. We’re roughly two years and eight months into a global pandemic. Global warming is clearly showing its effects as we experienced 70 degree days in November. Unrest and violence remains an ongoing issue abroad and within our divided nation. On a smaller scale, people struggle with daylight savings time and the onset of seasonal depression. Students feel the weight of the semester and nervously watch finals week grow closer and closer. 

I say let the people who want to celebrate early do so in peace. I’m not arguing that every person needs to get on board with this.You don’t have to listen to Christmas music or begin decorating your space, but maybe try not to roll your eyes when someone else is excited about these things. 

We all find joy in different ways, whether it be dreaming about a Thanksgiving feast or stringing up holiday lights. As a community, we should respect each other and try to find our own joy by seeing the happiness that others share during the holiday season.