Coleman award ceremony recognizes accomplished students

The New Hampshire Institute of Politics (NHIOP) hosted the 20th Coleman Awards Ceremony on April 10, recognizing accomplished Saint Anselm students.
Dean Litz gave some opening remarks, and then proceeded to introduce Father Jonathan DeFelice, O.S.B., president of the college. Father Jonathan discussed how students log many volunteer hours throughout their college years, but then set aside less time for volunteering after graduation. Father Jonathan is hopeful that this will not be the case for Saint Anselm College graduates.
Following the opening prayer, delivered by Fr. Anselm, guest speaker Emerald Russell was introduced. Emerald, a 2007 Saint Anselm graduate, discovered her passion for volunteering during her sophomore year at the college.
After having a difficult first year as a result of depression, Emerald followed her doctor’s advice and took a semester off from school. During this time she volunteered in Tanzania and Costa Rica, where she witnessed extreme levels of poverty. Upon returning to the college, she joined the Meelia Center and Campus Ministry to continue her volunteering efforts.
Emerald concluded with three pieces of advice for the Anselmians present at the event. First, she encouraged them to find a motive, whatever it may be, so that they will be inspired to act.
“No great person ever started great,” says Emerald.
Second, she reassured them that breaks are often a necessary part of life. When she found herself depressed her freshman year, she took a semester off and this proved to be a great decision.
Finally, she told the audience that “no one has the answer,” but we all have the right to use our skills to make a difference in the world.
Following Emerald’s words of inspiration, the Department Service Awards were presented to various students.
On behalf of Health Services, Maura Marshall presented the award to EMS Captain Kyle Baker. This past year, the Saint Anselm EMS team volunteered over 14,000 hours.
In athletics, Courtney McGrath recognized Richard Manzee for being a great leader on the baseball field.
Jesscia Serio, the volunteer in charge of the Meelia Center’s partnership with Easter Seals, was awarded the Human Partnership Award given by Dan Forbes.
Neil Levesque, director of the NHIOP, chose three of the sixty students ambassadors to receive the NHIOP award: Tara Sennick, Amanda Sharon, and Lyndsay Robinson.
For Campus Ministry, Susan Gabert presented the award to Nate Chartier for his “desir[e] to grow spiritually, emotionally, and intellectually.”
The Father Michael Custer, O.S.B. award, given by the Admissions Office, was presented to Marie Conte.
For the New Student Orientation Volunteer Leadership Award, the seven recipients were Lauren Alfis, Lydia Fortin, Lisa Kwolek, Melissa Laurion, Linh Nguyen, William O’Connor, and Nicholas Vilandre.
Jackie Conley received the New Student Orientation Volunteer Service Award.
Finally, the Dance Club was given the Club of the Year Award which was presented to senior captains Nicole Dilando, Rebecca Golden and Laryssa Feliciano.
The final event of the evening was the presenting of the two Paul S. Coleman Awards to seniors – one for Outstanding Service Leadership and the other for Outstanding Community Service.
Matthew Pendergast was presented the Paul S. Coleman Award for Outstanding Community Service. Both Dan Forbes and Sue Gabert spoke highly of Pendergast, recognizing his commitment to helping others. Throughout his four years at the college, Pendergast has been dedicated to volunteering both in the greater Manchester area and around the nation from his work in Langdon Mills to his participation in Road for Hope and Service & Solidarity Mission trips.
In his speech Forbes said of Pendergast, “Service to others has been a defining characteristic of his Saint Anselm experience, and it will no doubt continue to guide his life after graduation.”
Joseph Tucker Mullin was the recipient of the Paul S. Coleman Award for Outstanding Service Leadership. Mullin, captain of the Men’s Ice Hockey team for two years, encouraged the Hockey team to participate in Team Impact. Under this program, they adopted Benjamin Roy, a 9 year old boy from Manchester who was diagnosed with cancer. Roy became a member of the Hawk family, attending every hockey game with his family to cheer the men on. Mullin has established a lifelong relationship with the Roy family, attending many important events in Benjamin’s life such as his First Communion.  In addition to Mullin’s involvement in Team Impact, he was one of the co-founders of the Thomas E. Smith Fight to Cure Paralysis Foundation. All of his leadership accomplishments earned him the Hockey Humanitarian Award.