Students thrilled about options in coffee shop gluten-free menu

Brittany Barrett, Crier Staff

Walking into Davison, most students look at the array of delicious-looking baked goods with joy, but for gluten-free students some of this joy is lost when looking at each prepared item to ensure that the food is gluten-free.

It has always been difficult for students to go into the coffee shop and see an extensive menu, but know that the only choice provided for a gluten allergy is a salad with a beverage. A gluten-free college student needs to balance his or her busy academic and extracurricular schedule, but also needs to constantly be aware of dietary needs.

This fall, the Saint Anselm College coffee shop has implemented a gluten-free station to provide students with more options. The college offers an extensive gluten-free menu in Davison Hall, but this is the first time these options have been introduced in the coffee shop.

Gluten-free students can now enjoy meals with friends, including sandwiches, pizza, bagels, brownies, and cookies. Dining Services is also in the process of adding hamburgers, cheeseburgers, broiled chicken sandwiches, and steak tips to the menu.

Leslie Minchin, the assistant director of Dining Services, recognizes that the number of gluten-free students on the Saint Anselm campus is rising and the approach to serving those with food allergies has expanded as well.

“It is important for us to have gluten-free options in the coffee shop because we want to be able to accommodate our gluten-free students after Davison closes at 7 pm,” stated Minchin. “We also realize that if you’re following a gluten-free diet, you probably want to be able to eat in the coffee shop with your friends without it being a big hassle, and we want that for you as well.”

Colleen Brine, a junior who is gluten-free, now spends more time in the coffee shop than she has in the past.

“The coffee shop is definitely somewhere that people go to socialize, and being able to eat there is so much easier,” said Brine. “I would always feel awkward going to eat with a friend because they would feel bad that I couldn’t really eat anything. I have already been there for lunch multiple times since they have introduced gluten-free food.”

Many gluten-free students are pleased with this movement made in Dining Services.

Jordan Ouellette, a freshman who is gluten-free, said, “I love how there’s now pizza, especially because it is something I always see other people eating and am craving.”

Going gluten-free has recently become a popular dietary trend, but many are discovering that they need to completely eliminate gluten to prevent serious health issues.

Gluten is a protein that can be found in wheat, rye, barley, and malt. Those with gluten allergies can be intolerant or can have Celiac Disease, an autoimmune disease where one’s body is unable to break down this protein in the small intestine. Those with gluten allergies are sensitive to the smallest traces of gluten, and it is just as important to avoid eating gluten as it is to avoid preparing food around gluten.

Some students are especially glad for the progress.

“It’s been a long three-plus years fighting for it, and I’m so glad I’m not losing money anymore. Because I was unable to eat much of the food, I would often be forced to spend money on food off-campus after Davison closed,” one gluten-free student said. “I just wish staff in the coffee shop and Davison would understand how terrible they make us feel by constantly complaining and grumbling about having to go through ‘such an unnecessary hassle.’”

The student goes on to say, “It is necessary for people like me who are severely allergic. It’s not something I want to be doing, either! Honestly, I pay enough to go here, I should be able to eat the same foods as everyone else.”

Students who do not have this allergy also see the benefits for those who have Celiac Disease or gluten intolerance.

The Saint Anselm dining staff has been trained extensively on the proper procedure for dealing with the allergy, and a specific section in the kitchen will be designated to handle the preparation.

Elizabeth Gillespie, a senior, said, “My roommate has Celiac Disease, and the coffee shop had no options for her. She would rush to Davison to grab a meal, but now that the coffee shop has options she has more variety, which is great.