NHIOP seeks new communication director

an ‘important role’ to fill for election season

Meghan Gill, Crier Staff

The New Hampshire Institute of Politics, the political hub of the campus and a major player in NH politics, attracts both politicians and students alike. Maintaining recognition and a presence in the community means constantly promoting speakers, events, and series. Kate Giaquinto, former communication specialist at the NHIOP, was responsible for such promotions.

But, with another election cycle approaching, the NHIOP will need to fill the “important role,” says Executive Director Neil Levesque. “It’s very important because the level of activity is increasing, especially as the races in NH become even more competitive.”

An Anselmian herself, the English major began her two years at the NHIOP before the 2012 NH Primary began. Graduating in 2010, Giaquinto returned to the Hilltop amidst the whirlwind that is election season in New Hampshire. She served as the Communication Director until last February when she took a job as an Account Executive at nearby Montagne Communications.

Election time is “not for the faint of heart,” explains Giaquinto. The season will demand an energetic candidate. The Institute has exploded and become a nationally recognized political institute, as Giaquinto says, “largely due to Neil Levesque’s leadership in recent years.” With that type of national exposure and recognition comes an even greater interest in top-tier speakers and events, even during the political “off-season.”
That exposure will come from promotional communication. Giaquinto described her day-to-day promotional activities saying, “I worked daily to promote events, gain media exposure and to develop and strengthen the overall brand of the Institute as New Hampshire’s home for politics.”

An Anselmian aspect of her job, Giaquinto spent a lot of time working with students. Working directly with the Kevin Harrington Student Ambassador Program, the Hudson, NH native oversaw the promotions committee and coordinated logistics for events. In addition, she helped coordinate and train students on the TV crew to use the camera equipment and edit videos produced from each event and for other special projects.

Even after leaving Saint Anselm, Giaquinto remains surrounded by alum. Responsible for public relations and strategic communications for business clients, Giaquinto works alongside E.J. Powers ’05.

“It is exciting to be able to join him in this new role because E.J. is a very accomplished public relations professional and I’m anxious to be able to learn from a fellow Anselmian,” concludes Giaquinto.